hf1

Nappy rash help please....

My avatar
pinkydinkydoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Nappy rash help please....

Postby pinkydinkydoo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:46 pm

dd has got really bad fungal? nappy rash and was prescribed caneston nappy cream by the HV last thursday, i've been told to use it for two weeks but so far it has'nt made any difference at all. Shall i take her to the doc?
The other thing is- weve been using paper liners with fitteds so the nappies do'nt get clogged up, is it worth getting disposables to use for a week? as we can't use pockets at the mo.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Nappy rash help please....

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:59 pm

You can always use paper liners in fleece lined nappies such as pockets... I would definately take a trip back to the doc as she may need something stronger...
What temp do you wash at? It needs to be 60 to kill thrush bugs... :?

Could be if it's a fungal infection that cansten won't cut it and you need something more like fucidin...

I found that canasten didn't clog the fleece - it could be that not using fleece isn't helping if that makes sense?

I do know some ppl find putting their baby in disps for a week helps resolve the rash - not for us but it might work for you - I would say go see your GP and see what they say first (altho' if they're as useless as previous... ... ...) and it's up to you whether you try disps - it might work well but if she gets rashes from disps like Isabelle then it probably won't!

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:05 pm

ok...what wipes do you use?
and do you have any wool covers you can use? and do you use microfibre nappies or inserts? and are you washing at 60 to make sure nothing is being carrying in the nappies?

canestan alone should not clog nappies as it is not greasy.....i would take her back to the doctors if the cream has made no difference as i have seen a difference in the thrush spots within 48 hours even when it then takes much longer to clear...i know Annete (and ben) had no luck with canestan and use a different type of anti-fungal cream which has worked well for them.

can you do some nappy off time?

our routine for thrush is...

wash bot with mama earth angel baby diaper rash soap, then with a wipe with plain water, then dry very very thouroughly, put on canestan and leave to soak in, then if a rash as well use either metanium or a barrier cream.
cloth nappy with normal fleece liner...sometimes paper too, sometimes not, i try to use more wool wraps for better breathability, and dont use any microfibre.
at night i slap on huge amounts of barrier cream (so he doesn't reinfect himself with his own poos immediately) bepanthan or vasaline would do the trick tho i have something that is meant for psoriasis, and then i do use a sposie...

OH! i forgot the most important thing!!!
PROBIOTIC POWDER

it is magic, stops the thrush inside him so i am not fighting a losing battle everytime he poos

hth
shevi

My avatar
pinkydinkydoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby pinkydinkydoo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:08 am

OK-
We wash at 40 normally but since dd got the rash i've been doing nappies at 60 and carried on with the nappy soak just in case.
Dd has nappy free time in the evening (i lay her on a prefold).
I have got some wool but it needs a wash now (must do that today).
I use washable wipes the majority of the time and keep some disposable ones in the car incase we need some when were out but the do'nt get used very often.
We have just spent a small fortune on pockets and most came with microfiber inserts, we hav'nt used them yet though, when i can afford to i want to buy some bamboo so that i can make some up but were all out of nappy spending money at the mo.

Steph i think you may be right, dd reacts to the pampers nappies she has to wear at hospital, i used to use tushies on ds (always kept a couple in the car just in case) I might get a pack of those for dd as i know they dont have gel in them.

Return to Nappy Rash