Need help with bad nappy rash!

My avatar
horrigan87
Clothie
Clothie

Need help with bad nappy rash!

Postby horrigan87 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:19 am

hi all,

looking for advice on what to do now and potential causes of this horrible rash that wont go away!

my DS2 has always had bad nappy rashs that have come and gone but this time its not shifting! at the moment we are using pockets. (BGv3s, tots bots easy fits bamboo and a couple of fleece lined pockets) he is a very heavy wetter, im using paper flushable liners, disposable wipes, lots of persil non bio washing liquid with napisan and milton liquid as we have hard water. i also think he poos at night so dont find it till the morning! could any of these be the cause? the creams ive tried are sudocream, metanium, kamilosan, bepathan and savlon. i give him lots of plain baths no bubble bath and lots of no nappy time. I dont soak his nappies either and wash on 60. what should i do?

many thanks,
sophie x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Need help with bad nappy rash!

Postby clothmama » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:58 am

Welcome to CNT and :hug: :hug: for the nasty rash.

horrigan87 wrote:im using paper flushable liners

Have you tried without - some people don't get on with these at all? I used to use them when a poo was due (luckily he was fairly regular!!) as I found just the fleece lining in the nappy was much better at keeping him dry.

horrigan87 wrote:disposable wipes

This may well be your problem - disposable wipes are often so harsh and chemical filled. there is a thread somewhere with pictures of how they stripped the engine oil off Mr CMs hands recently (I keep a pack in the car for my hands after I fill up with diesel!). I used washable ones with Louis and either made up a lovely mix with cammomile tea, olive oil and lavender or plain old warm water. When I did use disposable wipes I found he got a rash very quickly :-? the exception to this was the natural type wipes with cammomile, no nasties ect.

horrigan87 wrote:lots of persil non bio washing liquid with napisan and milton liquid

This may also be your problem. It is not recommended to use liquid with nappies (or indeed anything as it coats the inside of your machine) and you should only be using 1/4 to 1/2 of the recommended dose for nappies other wise they get build up. Have a look at this article for more info
http://www.clothnappytree.com/info.php?article=7
My advice would be to stirp wash your nappies (full dose of powder or tablets and then rinse rinse rinse until there are no suds at all) as it could well be a build up of all those things on the nappies that is causing the rash.

horrigan87 wrote: i also think he poos at night so dont find it till the morning

that is hard when they do that and not a lot you can do- Louis started doing that at one point and waking at silly o-clock and I tried fiddling with times he had fruit :giggle: sounds silly but it did stop it.

I can't give any cream advise as I only ever used pure aloe vera which I found excellent.

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Need help with bad nappy rash!

Postby Bluebell » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:00 am

Lansinoh might help too. :wink:

Return to Nappy Rash