hf1

Think DD may be allergic to man-made fabrics, any advice?

My avatar
mrs_beckham_the_2nd
Clothie
Clothie

Think DD may be allergic to man-made fabrics, any advice?

Postby mrs_beckham_the_2nd » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi! This may be a bit long winded so please bear with me, I do tend to waffle :giggle:
I have used cloth on all of my children in one form or another from prefolds to fancy fitteds. My youngest daughter Atlanta was a poorly baby & quite a light wetter so I bought lots of pretty AIO's, AI2's & Pockets for hers. For a long time we got on great with Itti Bitti SIO's, Cushie Tushies, Fuzzi's, WNSS & BBOS but recently it's all gone wrong.
First she started wetting heavier as she's now a big strapping 1 year old so we got some night nappies & boosted up the pockets which worked fine for the leakage issue. Then she developed nappy rash, she's had bouts before whilst teething but a bit of Metanium soon eased it however this was different. Within a day of it appearing she had massive open sores that were bleeding & weeping she was shrieking when I had to wipe her & it had us both in tears.
Someone suggested I ditch the disposable liners which I did but the rash persisted so we sadly resorted to pampers which cleared it up almost immediately. Then I saw some posts on here about allergies to man-made fabrics so I checked the inners on all Atlanta's nappies, they are either suedecloth/staydry stuff, cuddlesoft on the WN's or fleece on the BBOS & Fuzzis.
So do you think this is what caused the rash & if so what nappies should I use that dont have these inners?
Is there any liners I can use if fleece is an irritant?
Are fitteds a better option than pockets etc?
I'm desparate to get back in cloth & ditch the dreaded disposables so all advice is welcome. Thank you.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Think DD may be allergic to man-made fabrics, any advice?

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:26 pm

i wrote a post on mr T being allergic to man made materials and actually forgot to update the post. i finally have him clear and back in the cloth i love, so my theory goes a little something like this.

speaking from my own experiance only of course.

T had an ongoing rash, with sores, weeping, rough skin on his thighs redness bleeding etcetc. i tried everything, even forking out for new nappies etc but you know what i find to be the best thing now? i decided it had got to a point where enough was enough, t has scarring from some of his rashes and it was just plain mean to keep him in cloth at that point, man made or otherwise he had a clear bum, but the excema (sp) type skin on his thighs was rough and scaly and often red. i put him back in sposies for only about 2 or 3 days and it cleared up very quickly, no creams, no potions nothing! then i slowly re introduced him back to cloth and for the first time ever t has been in easyfits which a month or so ago was a deffo no no and it just made things worse. i kinda have come to the conclusion that *sometimes* a rash is irratated by the man made inners, such as minkee, fleece etc etc. so rather than clearing it up it can just agrivate it even more. i now have also pretty much stopped night nappies on t atm too because his skin is still quite delicate so one eco sposie a night for him is no biggie in the grand scheme of things. i refuse to get hung up on it anymore and paying out silly amounts for night nappies is just something i am no longer prepared to do. it's def worth a try thought hun. t's skin has been the best ever as i gave him chance to heal properly. if it got anywhere near the same again i would not hesitate to sposie him for a day or so then put him back in cloth. i'd be interested to hear how u get on though.

oh other liners u asked, wool interlock. that's a mighty fine liner for a cloth nappy :-)

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:51 pm

we can't use fleece or micro suede here without rashes itti bittis were the worst I also can't use washing powder :( we use Bio d or mothercares nappy sanitiser which has exactly the same ingredients.
leg elastic is also a nightmare for us and really irritates her skin so we don't have fitteds except 1 wool inner one.
I find the best things for us are bamboo or hemp prefolds pad folded in a wrap are the best as I can completly control what touches her skin and can line with a wool interlock liner or minkee and there is no elastic to irritate her either.
We can use minkee lined pockets but these do irritate her so alternate with the prefolds we also use prefolds at night as they are really absorbant,

So I would reccomend prefolds or tots bots easy fits as they aren't lined with fleece etc either,

HTH,

My avatar
mrs_beckham_the_2nd
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mrs_beckham_the_2nd » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Thank you for the replies so far. Forgot to add that I dont have a huge amount of cash so buy most nappies preloved except for the odd splurge on custom WN's etc. Have not heard of wool interlock liners so will have a look for some.
:hug:

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:31 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

or
http://www.peachytots.co.uk/index.cfm/t ... ld-nappy/-

I don't have any tots easy fits but sure someone will be along with a cheap link to those as think they are difficult to get preloved :-?

you can get wool liners from here
http://www.lusciouslittlesomethings.com/nappies.html

or here sells wool boosters which would be good for heavy wetting
http://www.puddlekins.com/shop/category ... ategory=63

hth

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Have you tried giving them a good stripping, we found we had trouble with fleece inners from time to time but a strip wash sorted it out :hug:

My avatar
mrs_beckham_the_2nd
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mrs_beckham_the_2nd » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:29 am

Hi! Sorry I haven't checked back for a while, been busy clearing out my nappies & trying new ones.
Results thus far:
Fleece lined pockets are the worst culprit so Ive ditched all of them.
Itti's are also terrible so they've gone too, even my beloved ltd edition ones :cry:
So far minkee/cuddlesoft lining doesn't seem to be a problem so the WN's are ok.
I also managed to get some preloved bedbugs that are fine but I have turned the boosters over so the fleece bit isn't near the skin. Tots Bots flexitots are also ok.
I'm waiting on some interlock liners & it's just a case of trial & error at the moment.
A bit gutted that my mahoosive stash is down to about 8 nappies but my piggy's bum is clear & that's all that matters.

And yes Ruth I had tried stripping cos I saw that somewhere when I was looking for answers but it didn't seem to help :(
Thanks everyone for your answers & the useful links Xx

Return to Nappy Rash