hf1

Teething Rash with ulcers

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Teething Rash with ulcers

Postby Tara84 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:59 pm

We've been going through hell with DD's nappy rash for the last few months. It's starts up when ever she cuts a tooth, as soon as she's pooed her skin breaks out in ulcers which then get worse everytime she poo's to the point where they're weeping and bleeding :cry:

So far we've tried bepanthen, metanium, lansinoh, sudocrem, vaseline, aqueous cream mixed with a couple of drops of lavender oil, no cream at all and last week the doctor prescribed timodene an antiseptic, anti fungal mild steroid cream. None seem to make a huge difference, the best so far seem to be bepanthen, sudocrem and the timodene but it's not a massive improvement. It does start to improve once the tooth is through but then once it gets to the point that's it's nearly healed she cuts another tooth :x

We did have an issue with build up on the nappies a couple of months ago, our washing machine broke and the landlord replaced it with the cheapest model they could find which was useless, used hardly any water in the rinse cycle at all. We've stripped them to within an inch of their life since then and have now moved and bought our own washing machine which actually washes the nappies rather than just dumping a cup full of water on them and swishing them about a bit :roll:

I'm stuck with what to try next, she's just finished cutting 4 molars which has resulted in 1 50p sized ulcer, 1 20p sized ulcer and around 6 small ones. They've started to improve now she's finished cutting these teeth the big ulcers are no longer weeping and getting gradually smaller.

The only thing I can think of is that she seems to have quite concentrated wee, it's fairly pale in colour but does smell quite strongly when you take the nappy off(she's in wool about 60% of the time though so don't know if that has something to do with it) She drinks around 6-7 of the free flow tommee tippee beakers of water a day plus about 10oz of pregestimil formula a day so I think she's geting enough to drink but she's a very light wetter, can get a fuzzi with just the microfibre insert to easily last 3-4 hours.

Has anyone been through similar and found a magic cure or have any tips?

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Teething Rash with ulcers

Postby fivefourfour » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:12 pm

We use teething sachets with great effect. The Ashton and Parsons are the ones we use, but there are a few available. They are homeopathic, and help with the pain of teething and all the side-effects.

We also encourage her to drink more (she likes very weak, very milky redbush tea!) and we tend to rinse her under the shower rather than wipe her at changes.

A top tip is to give the disposable wipes amiss. I don't know if you use cloth wipes or not, but they seem so much nicer for her skin (we just moisten them in hot water with a few drops of tea tree oil in).

It's so horrid, I know, so hope it gets better soon. x

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:59 pm

Thank you, will pick up some of those teething powders and see if they help.

We've been sitting her in the sink with a couple of inches of warm water to rinse her off at change time which does seem to help and use cloth wipes, we did use disposible nappies and wipes for the first week or so when she was born as all the wraps we had were rubbing her cord stump and she came out in an awful rash then so have steared clear of them since.

Redbush tea is a good idea, we struggle to get her to drink enough of her formula and as she's allergic to milk we struggle to get enough calcium in to her but she's always trying to steal our cups of normal tea.

My avatar
toryuk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby toryuk » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:11 pm

We have a very similar problem, Tristan gets horrible bum rash whenever teeth appear. The only cream that has seemed to work was the Earth Friendly Baby, Organic Red Clover Diaper Care Cream. Lovely stuff that really does help.

Other than that we resort to a couple of days of disposables :evil: which although isn't ideal also seems to do the trick.

xxx

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:29 pm

You can also try changing the fabric that sits next to their skin. With M, when she is particularly bad, we use bamboo velour only (no minkee or fleece or similar). And don't forget if you're using a heavy duty cream, to use a liner to protect your nappies.

Return to Nappy Rash