hf1

Severe eczema, hydrocortisone and cloth nappies.

My avatar
breyah
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Severe eczema, hydrocortisone and cloth nappies.

Postby breyah » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Well after months of fighting what we thought was severe nappy rash, it turns out Henry has severe eczema which had become infected.

The Dr has perscribed hydrocortisone twice a day and Diprobase (an emollient) for ever nappy change. We've been worried about the creams ruining our nappies so we've been using disposables, however one of the reasons we stopped using them is cos they irritated Henry's skin!

Liners won't help, as the eczema stretches down his thighs and up to his belly button. :cry:

So what do we do? Will the creams ruin our cloth nappies? Any advice appreciated!

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Severe eczema, hydrocortisone and cloth nappies.

Postby cat27m » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Hope you see some improvement soon - it's horrible to see them so sore. Not sure about the Hydrocortisone but we've used Diprobase and Epaderm creams with Rowan and have not had any problems with her nappies. hth

My avatar
MumOf1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby MumOf1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:17 pm

Can't advise on the nappies but just wanted to say I know how you feel. Emily's about the same age as Henry and has been prescribed exactly the same creams but she has eczema everywhere but her bum thankfully. If you were to use liners it might prevent the majority of the cream from affecting the nappy. Did you try different nappy inners when you thought it was eczema? Just asking as I know some people have found their little ones to be allergic to manmade fibres but ok with others such as bamboo. If you're using disposables have you tried different kinds to see if some are better for his bottom than others. Sorry I'm not much help :hug: Hope you get the eczema under control :hug:

Also we have been prescribed oilatum for the bath too it might be worthwhile getting that from your docs too and giving it a try.

My avatar
breyah
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby breyah » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks ladies :hug:

We're still using our cloth at nights, and I've actually found that nappies with minkie/fleece are better than just OBV etc, I think it's cos OBV nappies mean his skin gets damp and irritated, but minkie keeps him completely dry.

We've tried Huggies/Pampers/Morrisons and Boots own, they all make him red. My mum says I reacted to the same with disposables (but much worse).

I might try using the cloth nappies with fleece liners and just keep strip washing them, it'll put our water and electric bills up, but it might be better for Henry's skin. :-?

My avatar
moonsunstars2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby moonsunstars2 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi,
We have to use epaderm & hydrocortisone on Ben due to severe ezcema all over. When he was in cloth I found it didn't effect the nappies. We used large fleece (wn) and this seemed fine. Hope the creams help..... Ben's had ezcema sine about 7/8 weeks old so know how difficult it an be getting it under control.

One thing we use for bathtimes is either Aveeno bath wash, or we put oats in a knee high tights sock and float in the bath (a few squeezes help), his skin doesn't go bright red now as soon as he's in the water.....

HTH's

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:43 pm

Random I guess but have you tried cutting out all dairy?
Grace is allergic to cow's milk proteins and now she's older the reaction is stronger, even having a tiny amount and a day later she's got the most dreadful eczema-y nappy rash... Keep her dairy free and within a few days the rash vanishes...

Unrefined shea butter is FAB for eczema and I didn't have a problem with it clogging nappies...

My avatar
moonsunstars2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby moonsunstars2 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:46 pm

ooo I keep hearing about how good unrefined shea butter is. Will have to look into where I can get it and give it a go.

My avatar
breyah
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby breyah » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Hmmm... someone else has mentioned dairy.. I wasn't sure, Henry's rash/eczema didn't start till about 2 months ago, and he'd been weaned for almost a month by that point and been on formula for a month and a half. :-?

Thanks for the bath tips, might try some/all of those!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Dairy takes time to build up in the system and the reaction isn't immediate that they start with it...
Grace didn't originally get a rash with dairy, but terrible stomach pains and reflux... Now it's eczema...
A lot of eczema is made worse by dairy to be honest from what I've read...

Next

Return to Nappy Rash