hf1

Severe eczema, hydrocortisone and cloth nappies.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: Severe eczema, hydrocortisone and cloth nappies.

Postby Louise » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:A lot of eczema is made worse by dairy to be honest from what I've read...

Definitely. I can tolerate dairy in small amounts but any more and my eczema flares up. If I am dairy free or only having a teeny bit (eg milk in tea/coffee) then I don't get any at all.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:56 pm

Eczema is very common and in the majority of people cutting out dairy will make no difference but it will in a few.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:05 pm

lazylexis wrote:Eczema is very common and in the majority of people cutting out dairy will make no difference but it will in a few.

Guess I'm odd then as 99% of the people I know with eczema it's dairy related :lol: can take 2-4 weeks to get out of your system completely though and it has to be done strictly...

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:57 pm

The very best cream we found for ds2's eczema was organic moisturiser from green people (I don't work for them honest!). It is "magic cream" in our house as it works so much better than anything prescribed by the doctor. He still needs hydrocortisone etc when it flares up really badly, but this often stops a minor flare up in its tracks when used consistently. And it is far less greasy than the diprobase etc, so less likely to damage nappies.

I can't remember what we were using nappy-wise at the time, but seem to remember that cloth was better than sposies for his skin.

My avatar
lacemakingmum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby lacemakingmum » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:29 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
lazylexis wrote:Eczema is very common and in the majority of people cutting out dairy will make no difference but it will in a few.

Guess I'm odd then as 99% of the people I know with eczema it's dairy related :lol: can take 2-4 weeks to get out of your system completely though and it has to be done strictly...

I asked GOSH about cutting out dairy for Peter when his eczema was bad and they said don't bother as it was unlikely to be a trigger :-? (he has a skin condition anyway) I like the oat and candula lotion from neals yard as it seems to be quite soothing too, I've just got some repair lotion from essential care and haven't needed to use it yet but is is supposed to be good with eczema.

I'd expect cloth to be better than sposies with any thing like eczema as there are less chemicals to irriate the skin and we started on cloth because of P's skin.

Hope the eczema clears up soon :hug:

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby girlinleeds » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:44 pm

i know pippa hasn't got a dairy allergy but her consultant said that she's unusual in the fact that she doesn't have eczema, most children with allergies have it bad and it normally can be linked to wheat, dairy or egg allergies
xx

My avatar
breyah
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby breyah » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:01 pm

justme123 wrote:The very best cream we found for ds2's eczema was organic moisturiser from green people.

Is that the nappy salve?

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:23 pm

Actually my favourite is the aloe vera hand and body cream for everyday maintenance and the hand rescue or something for something a bit heavier, it worked better than the kid stuff for us. But his was worst on his hands and legs rather than nappy area so I didn't try the nappy salve. If you email them and ask for advice they are REALLY helpful, and they have trial sizes and samples of most of their products that they will send you to try.

My avatar
flower child
Clothie
Clothie

Postby flower child » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:43 am

reading everyone's replies, there is some great info. I've found any cream petroleum based can cause a build on your nappies, which may lead to repelling. A light scrub with washing liquid before washing should help.

In terms of the excema on the torso and legs, have you looked at bamboo clothing? My DD suffers as well, and we got in the Babyjo range (in Australia) so I could try it on her. After 3 nights in the pj's, the flare up was significantly reduced (almost gone). There is some more info on the non-clinical trials that were carried out here http://flowerchild.com.au/babyjo-bamboo ... -1187.html

I'm sure there would be a similar range available in the UK, just make sure that it has a high bamboo content and no polyester if possible.

PreviousNext

Return to Nappy Rash