hf1

My top tip for nappy rash - whats yours?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

My top tip for nappy rash - whats yours?

Postby clothmama » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:55 pm

Drying baby!
I know it should be really obvious (espeacially to a 2nd time mum lol!!)but when Louis has had nappy rash it has nearly always been down to not drying him properly, espeacially in his chubby leg creases and on a couple occasions they've ended up nasty and red. I have had flare ups using disposable wipes too but when just thinking about it I wouldn't have dried then either!! So be warned - dry those little bottoms lol!!

My avatar
littlekiwibaby
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby littlekiwibaby » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:43 pm

Ok, well my top tip is that is LOs bum is red or sore use a thin smear of vaseline over the skin after changing to stop moisture from attacking the redness and making it worse. This way the skin can heal up.

Cat.xxx

Also throw away those paper wipes LOL. You only need a few damp flannels and you're well away. :D

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:08 pm

i absolutely loved bepanthen for hannah (dd1) first sign of a rash i'd put it on and by the next nappy change it would be gone, it was fantastic!!! But then for Phebie, Sudocream works better and i find Curash powder is pretty good too.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:54 pm

I read something somewhere the other day that was interesting. Apparently because the chemical gels in disposables take all moisture away it isn't as important to dry with dispos as the chemicals do it for you, hence why I hadn't twigged on to the need for thorough dying with ds1 who was in dispos!

My avatar
littlekiwibaby
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby littlekiwibaby » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:49 pm

Tory- don't forget what you said the other day about cornflour!

I tried it on Amber and it worked a treat!
Thanks fo that one.

Cat.xx

My avatar
lilylover
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby lilylover » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:28 am

The only thing that seemed to work for us was lots of nappy off time. The more air got to it the quicker it healed!

Sam..

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:33 pm

We've discovered a couple of things recently that have made a huge difference...

(1) Strip nappies (including liners and wraps) regularly and be wary of using too much detergent - also be wary of using essential oils in the rinse as LOs skin could react...

(2) Unrefined shea butter - amazing stuff! Warm it in your hands and soothe it into baby's sore bum and bits and overnight skin will improve!

(3) If you get recurring sore skin check for senstive skin which can be aggravated by sudocreme (Isabelle reacts badly to it!), bubble baths, washing detergent, brand of wipes and loads more!

(4) And don't assume it'll be better in disposables - they make Isabelle's skin worse!!

Hope that helps - I really really really recommend the unrefined shea butter - it's been magical for us and we don't use it every change (maximum morning and night) or even every day - just when she gets dry/sore skin and it clears up by next nappy change pretty much...

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:22 pm

That sounds amazing Steph, where did you get that from?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:12 pm

It's just like magic Tory!

I got mine from Natural Child - bought it in pots but they only do blocks of it now - but it's exactly the same stuff just not in a pot!

naturalchild.co.uk/ShopHome/index.html?target=dept_1.html
Last edited by Velvetsteph on Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Return to Nappy Rash