hf1

My top tip for nappy rash - whats yours?

My avatar
mama2boyz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: My top tip for nappy rash - whats yours?

Postby mama2boyz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:07 pm

fluffy_mummy wrote:Are the balms and salves and such suitable for using with cloth, though? I always thought that using creams was a no-no because of reducing the absorbancy of the fabric.

I'm looking for a new everyday balm and a heavy duty rash fixer, so wanted to check they won't effect the nappies...

I've never noticed any issues using creams and cloth although i guess vast quantities of cream could.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:11 pm

ditch the stay dry liners! i find they always make a rash worse, get back to basics with some obv nappies no wraps and lots of playtime, extra fluids to make wee less acidic, and baths! no cream really does it for us, but i like to moisturise t's legs and bum with earth friendly baby lavendar lotion. totally lush!

My avatar
utopia69
Clothie
Clothie

Postby utopia69 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:08 am

This may sound stupid,but the amounts of times ive done this for friends and my own kids its always worked.
Get an egg seperate the white from the yolk,
whisk the white part till its white and stiff,
get a bit of cotton wool, and dab to a clean dry bum.leave the child till it dries and it preforms a barrier, put the nappy on as usual and repeat again if the bottom is still aggressive looking,wash the bum first,before reapplyong more whisked egg.
After about 4-5 changes you will notice a vst improvement in the babys bottom.
my mum used this with us as kids back in the 70s
my gran used it on all my aunts and uncles,it really does work :pregnant:

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:52 am

Stop using disposable wipes for a while ds only gets nappy rash when I use disposable wipes. They seem to dry him out a lot. With washable wipes he gets no rash.

Might be worth a try?

My avatar
glovecat
Clothie
Clothie

Postby glovecat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:06 pm

rhiannon wrote:Stop using disposable wipes for a while ds only gets nappy rash when I use disposable wipes. They seem to dry him out a lot. With washable wipes he gets no rash.

Might be worth a try?

Absolutely agree with this.
And really frequent nappy changes. At the moment my 7 month old is awake for periods of two or two and a half hours, followed by a nap of an hour or so. I change her when she wakes up and before she goes back to sleep, which means that she rarely goes more than 2.5 hrs without a change. All the sudocreme and pricey Weleda stuff is gathering dust on the shelf :hohoho:

My avatar
Cocobelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Cocobelle » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:46 pm

My boy has never had nappy rash until today. I started using cloth nappies last night. It's very disappointing for me to see him red and sore when I so wanted cloth nappies to work for us. I am going to keep trying (different nappies), and will try some of the tips I've read here too.

Coco x

My avatar
2fluffybums
Clothie
Clothie

Postby 2fluffybums » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:19 pm

I got rid of an ammonia rash by doing a 90C wash without detergent, then 40C wash with washing liquid. I used coconut oil on the rash & it was gone in a day! I was really worrying that i was causing my 2 lo lots of pain.

My avatar
deralia
Clothie
Clothie

Postby deralia » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:35 am

choruna wrote:i always found soaking a wipe in a cup of camolmile tea with a teaspoon of honey worked very well. I'd put the wipe against rashy area and close the nappy on top of it until the next nappy change, great result every time!!

sounds like you had a brainwave while drinking a cup of chamomile tea? :D

My avatar
Sarah_F
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Sarah_F » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:29 am

I avoid all the fragrance wipes... it just irritates.. and yeah, they go nappy free for as long as possible.. those are the tricks that seemed to work for me

Previous

Return to Nappy Rash