hf1

Bleeding, sore rashy bum :(

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Bleeding, sore rashy bum :(

Postby tanya » Thu May 29, 2008 6:47 pm

Bella's got quite a sore bum, with spots and bleeding patches. I think it's thrush, but it won't go away. We've been using canestan on the spots and after they've gone too, and using metanium (and fleece liners) for the sore bits, but it keeps coming back and is now really sore :(

Not sure what to do about the bleeding and not sure if we should head to the doctor's to get it checked out.

Any ideas?

We don't want to use sposies as we don't have any in the house.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Bleeding, sore rashy bum :(

Postby flutterby » Thu May 29, 2008 7:04 pm

Aww not fun for you or her, Jak has really sensitive skin and seems to get nappy rash all the time, I wouldn't think about not using cloth because of it as sposies seem to make him worse, TBH the only thing that helps is lots and lots of nappy free time, and baths!

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Thu May 29, 2008 7:06 pm

if its that sore i would take it to a doctor.

but some tips are (and i'm sure Annette (andben) wil be along shortly as she knows alot about these sorts of rashes)

wash with water with soap, then rinse with plain water, either pat or air dry (or even a cool blast with a hair dryer) till completely dry, then canestan, then nappy off time (or a loosely nippaed terry with no wrap) and then before putting on a new nappy shovel on Vasaline or epaderm or bepanthan (think cm's rather than mm thick) and use a second or sposie liner.
if next nappy change is only a wee, i wouldn't wash again for fear of bothering it more, just make sure there is loads of cream and a nice dry nappy. next change wash well again

wash your nappies at 60 with 1 tab of bio powder (rinse well) to make sure all ..thrushs are gone.

probiotic powder- add some to her bottles or food, it should stop the thrush from the inside, so she doesn't constantly re-infect herself

i cant think of other things right now...but i will be back,
poor baby, i wish her tushie better.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu May 29, 2008 7:07 pm

Sounds just like what Ben had, bleeding (ouch ouch ouch) red spots, then over time it got to craters and was just horrible.

Straight to gp and hopefully they will prescribe you daktacort to use at every nappy change. For it to work at its best it needs to be covered with a barrier cream my gp recommended vaseline which played havoc with fleece liners, but then we discovered bepanthen is a perfect barrier cream to go over the top in think layers and will heal any other normal nappy rash at the same time. Boots disposable liners work really well, they can go through the washing machine over and over if just wet with no probs and stops the fleece clogging up and are thick and not at all papery.

Daktarin - although it sounds similar is just a cream and doesn't work as well as it sits on the skin and just rubs off on the nappy.

Ben stayed in cloth throughout - but better I found not to use fleece lined as the cream seems to stain when you are using loads, BTW if you have a lovely gp you can also get the bepanthen on 100g tube prescription. The perfect ratio I found for Ben was 30g tube of daktacort to 100g bepanthen and that would last about 4 or 5 days when it was at its worst - but it is hard to get gp to prescribe that much all at once.

We still stick with regime of dak overnight with Bep, and then bep during the day but just very thin layers now.

>:D< hope you can find something which works for you >:D<

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu May 29, 2008 7:12 pm

Oh and as Shevi said our cleaning routine, when home as out and about has got slightly more lax is

1) Wet cloth with a squirt of dove handwash soap - the same amount you would use to wash hands really wash the whole nappy area and get a good lather.
2) wet cloth to rinse away all trace of soap
3) dry wipe to dry everywhere
4) cream application

I have also occasionally followed Shevi's lead of just a wee means a clean nappy but no extra wiping of skin, depending on if there is any visible cream left on bum area - but that is only once skin is healed.

We changed nappies every 2 hours and still do. I asked gp if I should go to hourly but they said no, as it would aggrevate skin more.

Oh and top tip from gp was to add salt to whatever you use to clean - I was using camomille tea with a teaspoon of salt, as that also helps kill the fungus germies, now just use plain water.

Also wash at 60 with bio powder.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu May 29, 2008 7:16 pm

Wow, thanks ladies. That's really helpful advice.

We will certainly get some bio liquitabs (or something like that), as we've been washing at 60 with non-bio and it just will not go away :(

I'll also look into getting some pro-biotic poweder - sounds like a really good idea to me.

She had thrush when she was first born, but that cleared up quite quickly. Just cannot get rid of this last bout :(

Hmm, will add some salt to the bum-wash water. We currently have a top and tail bowl, with one half with water and a small squirt of baby wash in and the other has dry re-usable wipes. We also use disposable wipe - but only with the really disgusting weaning poos she does *YUCK*

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu May 29, 2008 7:18 pm

somewhere in the photo album miles back is a photo of Ben's bum almost at its worst, if you wanted to compare :shock:

got to go and bath someone ...

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu May 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Found the pics of Ben's sore bum - Bella's bum isn't that bad,yet, but it could quite easily get there as we are starting to get the bleeding patches and the soreness is spreading.... Looks like a trip to the docs is in order tomorrow :(

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu May 29, 2008 8:08 pm

Glad Bella's bum isn't that bad yet!

From personal experience if you are using water with a squirt of baby wash or similiar in it, it might not be cleaning enough, you really do need a lot of cleaning power, and once you start layering on creams and need to get them off and that does take some cleaning.

Also with regards to wipes, I probably wouldn't go with dispsoable ones - have you tried something like bounty or another brand of strong kitchen roll which you can throw out but will work damp, the chemicals on a bleeding sore bum are more likely to aggrevate it.

And strangely enough I don't think Ben was ever diagnosed with thrush, the dr seemed to think it was caused by not cleaning properly and reactions from wee and poo on the skin - whereas I thought it was heat rash as it started so young when he was in the incubator - back then we were using wipes with a squirt of baby wash in the water - hence my use of lots of soap now!

Next

Return to Nappy Rash