hf1

Bleeding, sore rashy bum :(

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Bleeding, sore rashy bum :(

Postby tanya » Thu May 29, 2008 8:13 pm

Wow Annette, you really are an encyclopedia of nappy-rash knowledge :) It's a shame that any parent has to become so clued up about it - I wish it never happened to any bottoms :(

We will stop using the disposable wipes until the wounds have closed. I don't think I can convince DH to stop using them completely - allowing him to use them to clean up runny poo was the only way he would use cloth!!

So, I need a mild cleaner for her bum? Dove creme soap is good?

Also, is Metanium any good on this kind of rash or do I need Bepanthen?

Thanks for all your help.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Just an alternative view - Isabelle reacts badly to soap or babywash so I couldn't use those to clean her bum...

We started using the earth friendly baby wipes which contain calendular to sooth the skin - they're brilliant and I'd recommend them to anyone!

Also angelbaby bottom balm has cleared up some horrendous rashes for us after 24-48 hours and they looked better after two changes...

If you are using a cleanser with water and reusable wipes then definately go for something as mild as possible and avoid anything made by Johnson and Johnson!

Also soak a fleece liner in cold cammomile tea and put it wet into her night nappy - wet healing is fantastic...

But for daytime soak the fleece in cold cammomile tea and let them dry - they're really soothing too...

Can't really add much to other people's advice other than that though!

Good luck with the healing...

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu May 29, 2008 8:33 pm

The amount of tears I shed over Ben's bum was almost as bad as his head at times :?

So, I need a mild cleaner for her bum? Dove creme soap is good? - I settled on Dove as we were away at my sister's in Dorset away from my HUGE selection of creams (I have everything ever mentioned on here!) And set off to try the oliva soap from Holland and Barett as it is quite natural to clean as his bum was getting worse and worse (also thought that if it didn't work I could use it on my woolies so it wouldn't be a waste of money), but they didn't have any, so went to various chemists and looked at every soap going and settled on Dove as it is moistuising (highly advertised), but thought it could do no harm and at 57p or something a bar I could risk, so we started off by rubbing the soap all over the cloth wipe we were about to use and cleaning that way. But for ease at home (and at the time lots of middle of the night changes) use the liquid soap, but still out and about we have the original soap bar which I rub over still. And the dove soap still seems to be working, so haven't changed it - we just buy it when it is on BOGOF or £1 a container, but the bar works just as well, just more time consuming.

Also, is Metanium any good on this kind of rash or do I need Bepanthen? I tried the metanium, and also slapped it on like I think Shevi does to cure Boo's rashes, but it could have been co-incedence, but when I went to change him 2 hours later, it had seemingly created some more bleeding patches which were not even there before.

How I discovered the Bepanthen was we were using Daktacort around the bum, slapping on vaseline on top (2 tubs a week) and then around his upper creases he was getting normal nappy rash, so was applying the bepanthen there, then looked at the ingredients and found lots of lovely items were there - vaseline being one of the top 4 items, lanolin featuring too, I thought to try it as we were starting to get normal nappy rash around the sores / craters / healing and it worked. It was also so mild and recommended for prem babies and no fragrence - Velvet Steph Isabelle can't use Sudocrem or anyform of lavender I think. I probably could have tried Sudocrem being the cheaper option, but after finding something which works, again I haven't wanted to change - oh and we have Bepanthen on repeat prescription - finally - it was hard, we get 4 tubes of everything each month!

Also while his bum was just so sore, the worse it got, the more I would wash his nappies with non-bio - but we had so many I couldn never figure out which had been washed in what, so sometimes Ben would be changed and would seem less sore (no less bleeding, but redness had gone down) and then it dawned on me he couldn't have the non-bio powder next to his skin, so since then has always been a small / tiny dose of bio.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Thu May 29, 2008 8:33 pm

angelbaby diaper rash soap is fantastic. i used to just make my wipe wet then rub it on the soap, and then use the next wipe with just water. i think i bought it from a site called there must be a better way. fab CS, ordered one day at about 4ish, arrived first thing the next morning.

other soaps i use are....cant remeber actually, i think whatever organic lavender stuff i had here from gifts!!! didn't make bubbles, so i assumed it to be mild!!!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu May 29, 2008 8:37 pm

yes yes yes that soap is fantastic Shevi - cleared up the eczema patches on my hands!!
Not dared risk it on Isabelle due to the lavender stuff tho' :(

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu May 29, 2008 8:45 pm

Wow, my head is spinning from all this fab advice.

I will try Bepanthen. I find Sudocreme utter cr@p - it's never got rid of even basic nappy rash (where mummy or daddy haven't quite dried her enough and it gets sore - or the sore spot under the chin from too much milk dribbling out!, which she usd to get when she was tiny) We switched to metanium 'cos that worked, but doesn't seem to be solving the current problem.

I will have a look around for some mild soap for cleaning - if I can't find any, I'll rpobably order some on-line.

I nearly cried when I saw Bella's bum was bleeding - I couldn't belive my diddy had such a sore bum. We've been trying so hard to get rid of it.

My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby bubbaloo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:34 pm

My son suffered from sore bum for 4 months from birth, I even went to casualty with it once because of the bleeding!

Doctors told me the same stuff as the other ladeez have said. I would say that some children can be sensitive to Bepanthen because of the lanolin and vaseline doesnt always let the skin breathe. However it works wonders for lots of people.

After 4 months I cured him in 3 days after much internet searching!

He had thrush but canesten wouldnt kill it off, kept recurring.

I swear by Grapfruit Seed Extract oil drops in water for washing his bum This is a natural repellent for thrush which is found to be more effective than canesten. I washed him with that each wash, 15 drops in a ramekin of warm water with cloth wipes.

Vitamin E capsule- put on cuts and sores with zinc to speed healing. Once a day. Vit E is sticky, apply when having a sleep.

Metanium for the rest with paper pads on cloth nappy. Shea butter from http://www.sheabuttercottage.com. Purest stuff.

Changed his nappy every 30/45 mins to keep dry.

It worked for me and still use drops everyday.

Good luck to you, I know how awful it can be to deal with this. >:D<

Let us know what worked in the end for you. xx

Previous

Return to Nappy Rash