hf1

sore bums

My avatar
millercl_6
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

sore bums

Postby millercl_6 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:17 am

ross has been in cloth again for about 6 wks and was very pround and determened to stay in cloth but for the past 5 days hes been in dispo im so :cry: peed off he came out in blisters and sores on his bits and legs going to try cloth again once hes healed but not sure if its the lavender oil i put in the washing machine to make them smell and the heat as one morning he woke up soaken with a rash where he was wet just wanted to let some steam off my hubby would not understand he made a remark well i new it was a faze ill show him,

My avatar
pinkydinkydoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: sore bums

Postby pinkydinkydoo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:23 am

Yes it could be the oil, I could only use nappy soak to freshen them up because ds would get red raw if i used any oils (even if it was only a tiny drop in the bucket), as soon as i stopped using them the blisters went and he did'nt get them again.
Would be worth washing all of your nappies a couple of times with just a little powder to get rid of any oils that might be on the fabric and then trying again.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:49 pm

You could also try adding a little bicarbonate of soda to future washes. This makes the nappies come out smelling really fresh, and doesn't seem to have any effect on LO's skin.

Also, is he teething? That can have nightmare effects on wee & poo and the resulting rash is scary. Bella had this last night and it looked like her bum was glowing :(

Also, what naight nappies do you use? Do you use PUL-based nappies or wraps? That could make him quite hot at night. You might want to consider some wool just for night, as this is so much cooler for them, and seems to stop the nappies getting quite so wet.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:51 pm

We can't use any oils in the wash - especially not tea-tree or lavender as Isabelle comes out in horrendous rashes :?

I would strip wash your nappies (do a wash with full dose of detergent then rinse rinse rinse) and hopefully that will solve the problem for you...

Also what liners do you use in your nappies? We got the same if we used paper with no fleece...

(ps - moved this to the nappy rash section)

My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby bubbaloo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:16 pm

My son suffers from this too every now and then especially when its hot... could be the heat? With the hot weather, I think he sweats and his pores open and he gets a bit of a rash.
I'm at a loss to as he is wearing cloth with wool wrap and I havent changed anything I do. No oils, bicarb in wash, double rise, etc

Return to Nappy Rash