Chafing on thigh - terries with inserts, neat fold

My avatar
masheater
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Chafing on thigh - terries with inserts, neat fold

Postby masheater » Mon May 23, 2011 7:12 am

Hi guys.
This in only the second time Eddie has had this. It starts as a red patch any gets angry. I rest and use posh pockets as much as poss along with vaseline and clears up.
The problem isn't getting it better, rather the cause. I think it is related to using inserts which makes the nappy gape and bulge more between the legs; that coupled with Eddie starting to walk which means I am likely to start having this problem more.
Has anyone else had this problem before on an older baby and how did you solve it? My thoughts are leaving the inserts out but I need the extra absorbency as he were more less often. I use a variety of inserts but mostly easy least hemp and bamboo tot bot ones.
Thanks guys!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Chafing on thigh - terries with inserts, neat fold

Postby monsterm » Mon May 23, 2011 8:53 am

Could it be the wrap rather than the nappy? Alot of babies get angry red marks from the binding of the wrap around the legs when it gets wet (does that make sense?) Wool or fleece soakers rather than a wrap would help. Also maybe trying bamboo terries rather than the cotton ones to get extra absorbancy.

My avatar
masheater
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby masheater » Mon May 23, 2011 10:32 am

No it isn't the wrap cos I often don't put one on while at home so I change it as soon as I notice it's damp. I tried bamboo and tbh really haven't found much diff at all in absorbency. And esp not for the cost difference. I also find the sizing of the bamboo a bit off so harder to fold right.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon May 23, 2011 11:21 am

What part of the leg is it? Up near the top or down a bit where the nappy would be gaping? Contact with a wet nappy would cause soreness after a little while.

Just realised you haven't said that the red marks are on his legs. Where exactly is it? Inside the nappy & on the legs both would be caused by contact with a wet nappy. Inside the nappy could be reduced by using fleece liners which act as a waterproof layer. On the legs could be helped by using a nappy with better absorbancy, using wool soakers which are breathable so allow a certain amount of the moisture to evaporate or changing the nappy more often. I found that when dd got to the 9-12mth mark she started peeing heavier so they can flood a nappy in one wee.

My avatar
masheater
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby masheater » Mon May 23, 2011 12:04 pm

It's right up the top by the nappy inner thigh only one side. I do use fleece liners. I change them very quickly after he's wet but I agree this may be what's causing it. I have loads of wool and use it at night but not so much day.
I have several pairs of longies and shorties but not using the longies so much as they are just too lovely and Eddie is wearing holes his knees outside.
In terms of absorbency the nappies are absorbant enough but often the edges do get wetter where the insert isn't if you see what I mean!?

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Mon May 23, 2011 12:13 pm

DS used to get this. I never found a way of stopping it TBH. Sudocreme healed it up pretty quick though. Not sure you are supposed to use any barrier creams with cloth though. As time went on his thighs seemed to get used to the contact with the damp and toughen up.

Nappy free time as often as possible and changing before sides get too wet are probably the best solutions.

ETA: meant to say that liners, fleece or paper made rashes worse so I stopped using liners al together.

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Thu May 26, 2011 12:52 pm

hi,
i'm having the same problem... my baby's thighs (quite low down) are red and sore. i think it's the motherease PUL wraps we've been using. i don't fasten them very tightly because i want to prevent rubbing, but i wonder whether them being too slack is what is making it worse (as there is more rubbing).
has anyone got any advice? i'm going to use fleece tonight - don't tend to use it during the day as i find the nappy leaks through with fleece.
thanks
jody

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun May 29, 2011 1:24 pm

jclmellor wrote: but i wonder whether them being too slack is what is making it worse (as there is more rubbing).

Hi Jody :wave:

It probably is making the rubbing worse because it is the wetness that causes the rubbing really & having the wrap loose would cause a little of the moisture through. If fleece doesn't work for you in the day, it probably won't work at night either. Sounds like you have a bit of a heavy wetter. Wool would definately be the best option for you. Don't be scared of it, it is alot easier than it sounds.

Return to Nappy Rash