New to nappy rash and new to cloth.

My avatar
LizJM
Clothie
Clothie

New to nappy rash and new to cloth.

Postby LizJM » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:32 pm

Any ideas ladies??

DD is 13 mths and has been in cloth for a few months. When I first switched I had a lot of disposables left so I used them overnight, and used cloth in the daytime (BGs and Flips). A few weeks ago I switched to overnight nappies and we now have rash. Overnight I use a ME airflow and a bamboo stretchie, with just the bamboo insert and a fleece liner. The rash is at the front only and she is a tummy sleeper so I do wonder if the nappy rash is due to the overnight cloth .

She is obviously pretty wet in the morning, but we have no issues with leaks and she is in the nappy for about 12.5 hrs.

Any suggestions?? Obviously treating with creams and barrier creams etc, but no joy yet . It isn't a bad rash, just there, yk?

This isn't the first time we have had rash - but usually they have been round the bottom rather than the front. Last weekend we used disposables for 48hrs as we were away at a wedding and a hotel room, and that didn't help either.

Thanks in advance.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: New to nappy rash and new to cloth.

Postby tiyuricc » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:08 pm

try using a fleece or wool cover instead of the ME airflow - these will let some of the wee evaporate off so your lo should be drier. for fleece wraps, i like the tots bots ones ... not sure if they still make them, ours are nearly 5 years old... but they're velcro fastening like a normal wrap, so not so difficult to get on as a fleece soaker is.

fleece liners always help clear up dd's nappy rash, so sounds like you're already doing that.

the other thing we do is use paw paw salve (google it, it's the one with yellow/green label)... and it's an absolute miracle. if dd gets a rash when at nursery, if i use the salve i can almost guarantee it'll be gone next day. can also use it on other skin conditions such as eczema as well.

another thing you could possibly try is putting something absorbant between nappy and wrap to try and draw some of the moister away from the skin - i'm thinking zorb or possibly microfibre as they both absorb quickly on contact with moisture.

My avatar
LizJM
Clothie
Clothie

Postby LizJM » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:36 am

Thanks so much - very helpful. The more I read about on here the more I think it likely is the waterproof wrap that is the issue. Just makes the most sense in terms of timing etc etc.

Should a nigh nappy be SOAKING when you take it off?? DDs is, but with no leaks I thought that was normal, but now wondering if it is just a good waterproof wrap and I actually need to boost more to try and get some moisture off her skin??

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:40 am

Hi & welcome :wave:

If the nappy is absolutely sopping, I would add another booster to the nappy. Try something like the easy peasy hemp. Hemp is very very thirsty but slow to absorb so needs a bamboo booster on top of it. That might help a bit. Tbh though, as long as you are using PUL wraps the nappy is going to be soaking wet. PUL holds all the wetness in whereas fleece & particularly wool, leave the moisture evaporate so ideally you use one of those over your night nappy.

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:49 am

I haven't got any tips for the night nappies as we're cloth newbies too but I've been using Lansinoh on ed's rash and it's always gone by the next day usually by the afternoon if I've put it on in the morning.

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:29 am

May sound daft but is the rash definitely soreness? My LO has speckles where his LL fleece liner has left an impression but it goes later on and its not sore.

I would definitely use a lanolised wool soaker and not a plastic wrap at night as this will be far more breathable.

My avatar
LizJM
Clothie
Clothie

Postby LizJM » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:07 am

I have some hemp that I stopped using as we had no leaks - I will put them back in .

Off to try fleece or wool then - DS will be pleased - he has had his eye on the animal pattern wraps all week and has been most indignant about having to wear his plain blue ones (he doesn't often pee at night one so I just use a BG).

Paw paw slave sounds lovely!

My avatar
LizJM
Clothie
Clothie

Postby LizJM » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:53 am

Just to update in case it helps someone.

It was the ME wrap - clearly doing FAR too good a job and keeping the nappy far to wet overnight.

I have been stuffing my BGs with both microfibre inserts and a hemp booster and that has solved the issue :yahoo:

My Mum is knitting me a soaker to try as well so I can use all her lovely night nappies again soon!!

Return to Nappy Rash