My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Nursery disaster and nappy rash.

Postby jclmellor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:40 pm

hi ladies,

hope someone can offer some advice!!!

DD gets reoccuring nappy rash/allergic reaction, particularly with Easyfits and Pop Ins (we don't use PUL wraps as they leave red marks on her thighs). doctor said she had thrush and an allergic reaction on her thighs and cheeks from the Easyfits. the rash is a perculiar shape and the reddest part is where the bamboo has been. her skin is okay, where the fleece liner has been. (i don't think it's a bamboo reaction as we use fitted nappies usually without any bother). i have been washing the nappies in Daz Bio.

now, i am using fitteds and wool until i sort out what the problem is...

however, DD goes to nursery 4 days a week and we were using Easyfits at nursery but now i have her in fitteds and wool so that her rash can clear, and nursery doesn't like it... :evil: Nursery rang me today to say that the fitted nappy had leaked through to the wool and that DD was leaving wet marks on the carpet. they said that they can't have wee on the carpet or else it will have to be professionally cleaned and that they would recommend using a PUL wrap. my questions are:

1) i know the longies i sent DD to nursery in probably need relanolising but nursery are now very sceptical of wool and i don't want DD leaking on their carpet or else they will complain again. would it be possible to use a double layer of wool, to make sure 100% that there are no leaks? i mean, would it be effective to use both a wool soaker and some longies over a fitted nappy, to create a double barrier? i could also use felted longies but i don't have many pairs of those.

2) does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing DD's allergy?

hopeful...
xxx :hug:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Nursery disaster and nappy rash.

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:16 pm

My son used wool wraps 100% of the time, it's terrible a year after PT I can't remember what they were called I think wool baby beehinds, and they were fantastic barely any wicking and that was under normal clothes like jeans. If you went for a wool wrap and longies then IMO it would be no different than PUL as you had the double barrier.

My son had terrible nappy rash for years including being referred to the hospital and I never gave up. For him, we used a combination of Boots nappy liners (washed with nappies if wet, thrown if poo until disintergrated) bepanthen nappy cream ontop of daktacort cream, wool wraps or longies and for him it seemed to be using disposable wipes helped, but only wiped if he had done a poo, wet nappies were just changed with no cleaning just another layer of cream if needed.

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby flossyfly » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:18 pm

I switched to bio powder and dd had a reaction to it. Went back to fragrance free non bio and she is peachy again....took a while though as I had to wash all my nappies before using them.
I have wondered about a fleece/wool soaker with a strip of PUL, in the wet zone, as an extra barrier against compression wicking.
I use waitrose bottom butter as a barrier as well. It's gorgeous and totally cloth friendly and natural :wine:

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Id be telling them that if she had left pee patches on the carpet they were neglecting to change her often enough! Point out you are using the combination because MEDICALLY it is required and they need to do the job they are paid to do and change your daughter often enough so her woollies dont leak through.
I wouldnt bother with a second layer, it will make it bulky, just tell them to change her regularly.

My avatar
emsy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby emsy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:54 pm

WSS^^ :shock: if she has leaked on their carpet then its not you're fault for using the wool they should be changing her more often :shock: I would complain to the manager and turn it back around on them !!

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:29 pm

A bit of dampness I can understand but leaving wet marks on the carpet is definitely due to leaving a nappy on too long! :nono: Could you tell them that because of the rash she needs changing *really* often? That's what I told DH at the beginning of using wool :wink:
Also, have you tried wool interlock longies? I make them with basically a soaker attached inside so it's two layers in the 'wet zone', I'm sure some fairly famous brand makes them too cause I've seen them around but don't know who.. somebody else might know!
And for the nappy rash, I have to use soapnuts for the majority of the time and normal washing powder once every 2/3 weeks, DD has eczema and reacts if I use even just non-bio all the time. Hth x

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:42 pm

anothersquish wrote:Id be telling them that if she had left pee patches on the carpet they were neglecting to change her often enough! Point out you are using the combination because MEDICALLY it is required and they need to do the job they are paid to do and change your daughter often enough so her woollies dont leak through.
I wouldnt bother with a second layer, it will make it bulky, just tell them to change her regularly.

WSS ^^^ Hear hear! They should be changing her more often.

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:34 am

thanks for all the replies. nursery changes nappies at 10am, 1pm and 4pm, so every three hours. that should be okay, or should it be more frequently? (DD isn't a heavy wetter) xxx

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:40 am

jclmellor wrote:thanks for all the replies. nursery changes nappies at 10am, 1pm and 4pm, so every three hours. that should be okay, or should it be more frequently? (DD isn't a heavy wetter) xxx

:shock: :shock: :shock: So what happens if a child does mega wee or a poo at 10.30? Do they leave them until 1pm? I've never ever understood set changing times. They should change the child as and when!
I get the feeling they're too used to dispicables and being able to have the nappy hanging by their knees before it needs changed. :puke:

Deffinatly tell them that they should be changing her more often because of her nappy rash. :evil:

Next

Return to Nappy Rash