hf1

Please help me identify this reaction?

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Please help me identify this reaction?

Postby justme123 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:49 am

Dd has a rash on her legs at the moment and I'm struggling to work out what it is :-? It is raised and red and comes up really fast so I'm thinking it is a reaction to something.

She had no problems at all until a couple of weeks ago. I put her in a lollipop pocket to go out to the doctor - less than an hour later she pooped in it and I went to change her and the top of her thighs was red raw - the insert was also soaked and the nappy had leaked onto her clothes so I thought maybe it had chaffed because of that (and havent used them again). After that I put her in sposies for a few days because of the sore skin and because she had a big sore lump from her injections.

Since then she's had this intermittent rash on the insides of her legs where the chaffing was. Yesterday she was wearing a bamboozle with a fleece liner (fleece not touching the sore patch) and it came up really bad - I thought maybe it could be because the nappy was a little small and quite wet. Then overnight she was in a flutterby fluff with wool and it cleared up. Then this morning I put her in a happy Heiney pocket (fleece lined) and it flared up almost instantly - so I took it off and have put her in a puddlekins :-?

I have noticed that it has come up a couple of times when I've put her in ssomething preloved without washing it first - washing powder I guess? But all these nappies have been washed several times in the same powder. It is definitely where the nappy touches rather than the wrap.

Any ideas?

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Please help me identify this reaction?

Postby becky1978 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:39 am

Could it be the fleece liner.that she's reacting to?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:50 am

Our rashes often cleared up overnight...

Wet nappies especially soaked ones combined with movement creates awful rashes! Up your absorbency, ditch microfibre and change more frequently - oh and it might be worth doing a strip wash of your nappies too if that doesn't work...

And make sure you wash at 60...

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:53 am

Velvetsteph wrote:Our rashes often cleared up overnight...

Wet nappies especially soaked ones combined with movement creates awful rashes! Up your absorbency, ditch microfibre and change more frequently - oh and it might be worth doing a strip wash of your nappies too if that doesn't work...

And make sure you wash at 60...

WSS - Evie got bad rashes around the leg elastic of fitteds so we had to start using 2 fleece liners, hanging out the sides so the wet nappy stopped chafing.

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:14 am

Hmm - the first time with the lollipop was definitely chaffing and I learnt my lesson with that. :cry:

But since that healed it has looked more like a reaction. The bamboozle yesterday was boosted (with a bamboo LL) had been on about 3 hrs, most of which she had been sleeping, and was wet but certainly not soaked. This morning it came up as soon as I put the HH on - it was completely dry and not at all tight on the legs. It went down after I put on a bv lined puddlekins.

I did think it might be the fleece, but yesterday she had a fleece liner in all day and the rash was not where the fleece touched her skin.

I have been sometimes washing at 40 with Nappisan - I can switch to 60 and see if that makes a difference. I could try a strip wash too but haven't had any problems with absorbency or smells :-?

It seems better in BV nappies so I'll keep using those for now, but I dont have enough to use full time.

Thanks for your help :-)

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:08 am

Napisan is not a good thing to use with nappies. You can get better ones but I can't remember the names. Will see if I can find the threads they are mentioned on.

What is a hh? Is it a happy heiny pocket? If so, they are lined in fleece. Maybe it is a reaction to the fleece?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:39 am

I wouldn't touch napisan or similar - personally... Isabelle's worst rashes were when using similar and washing at 40...
Once we switched to 60 and ditched the sterilising stuff it made a HUGE difference!!

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:49 am

Okay then - ditch the napisan (not sure why i was using it really!) and wash at 60 - I can do that :-)

It does seem strange that it only seems to come up with certain nappies when they're all washed in the same way though! :-?

Return to Nappy Rash