hf1

Nappy rash on toddler - Ideas please!

My avatar
ms9kas
Clothie
Clothie

Nappy rash on toddler - Ideas please!

Postby ms9kas » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:20 pm

I would really like your help and ideas...

Our daughter has been in cloth since she was born, and was potty trained at by months :-) She's now 2 years and 2 months and still in night-time nappies and since being potty trained during the day has developed dreadful nappy rash. The rash was so bad that it became infected and has been on 2 lots of oral antibiotics and a topical cream. While we were using these we used disposable nappies (which I hate). The rash had completely cleared up, however within days of starting back in cloth the rash has started to re-appear.

We use Tots Bots Fluffles, boosted with either a cotton or bamboo booster and use a fleece liner next to her skin. We also use a fleece outer wrap. We washed the nappies at 60 degrees to rid them of any nasties, and we always use surcare non-bio powder.

I really want to keep using cloth, but am running out of ideas!

We moved onto fluffles at night time, partly as we thought they would be a better night time nappy that the bumbles that we were using, and partly due to the fact we needed the bumbles for our new arrival. Could the fluffles be causing the rash? My understanding is that the fluffle (microfibre nappy) is less likely to cause a reaction than cotton.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :-)

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Nappy rash on toddler - Ideas please!

Postby lazylexis » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:07 pm

I think microfibre is more likely to cause a rash than cotton.Have u stripped the nappies? How do u usually do a nappy wash?

My avatar
ms9kas
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ms9kas » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks for your reply :-)

We usually wash at 40 but have changed that to 60 since the rash started (plus now have a newborn, so washing his nappies with hers, so doing a 60 degree wash everytime). We use a non-bio powder (about third of amount stated on packet) and line dry.

We also use a fleece liner in her nappies. The liners are ones that we have used since she was born. The rash is only in her intimate areas (ie where the liner touches), so we're now thinking it may be the liners?

How would I strip wash?

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Fleece liners can cause rash, so can microfibre. Have you any natural fibre nappies?

I would definitely strip wash the nappies as build up could be an issue too. To strip wash, wash the nappies on cold using a full dose of BIO powder, then do a 60 wash with no powder, then do 3 or 4 extra rinses (or until there is no bubbles visible during the cycle)

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Sorry missed you said you have bumbles. I would be thinking it is the fluffles causing the rash if she doesn't have a rash with the bumbles. It could either be build up on the nappy or just the microfibre itself which is very hard on the skin.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:26 pm

You do tend to get more build up of detergent on microfibre and fleece compared to cotton. Do you do any extra rinses after the wash? This helps to stop build up.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Personally I'd drop the liner and try a bimble for a couple of nights. That would at least awnser the question. Then you can make a decision from there.

My avatar
ms9kas
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ms9kas » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:37 pm

we only have fluffles and bumbles (cotton terry outer, but fleece inner) in her size. I do have bamboo and cotton boosters though, so I could try boosting the bumble with a cotton / bamboo booster and put that next to her skin (rather than in the pocket behind the fleece inner).

I do have 3 geobel bamboos in size 2,but not sure if they're big enough for her now though.

Thanks for all your suggestions - I think it's probs a fleece reaction too.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:45 pm

I would give the nappies a strip wash anyway just to be sure. they would be well due one if you haven't done one before. I do one every few months regardless of whether I think they need it.

Next

Return to Nappy Rash