Nasty nasty bum rash! :(

My avatar
slumberlion
Clothie
Clothie

Nasty nasty bum rash! :(

Postby slumberlion » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:25 pm

Hiya,
dd has the worst spout of rash Ive ever seen! I can't seem to get rid of it at all, although it hasnt got worse so I should be thankful about that!
The rash consists of red spots everywhere with large craters of open sores! :cry: Its been like this for about a week or so now!
I think the cause is a combination of factors- I had been using non bio (normally use bio) as I had ran out of bio and kept forgetting to get some; I was also using just water instead of washable wipe solution (again kept forgetting to make some - bad mummy!) so I don;t think I was killing the bacteria off; and some nasty acidic poos!
Ive stripped the nappies and got some bio...the nappies had started to smell a bit whiffy with the non bio which I had been using for about 2-3 weeks...but I had also put the whiffyiness down to teething wee, which could have been another factor I guess. And Ive got back into the habit of wipe solution. Also using Metanium, which used to work wonders on ds, but I havent seen an improvement with this rash on dd. Going to get some canisten tomorrow for her, its worth a try. Although I always thought the thrush rash was white spots, whereas these are definitely red? Its the large open sores that really get to me....they just look so sore. Could the rash have got infected perhaps?
Just wondering whether anyone has any top tips to help speed recovery? We normally use pockets but do have alot of fitteds which i could use..might be better as can pile on the cream and use a liner?
Also using silk liners and silver liners...although I can't say they've made any difference.
Is there a wonder cream out there that I'm not aware of?!
Any help would be massively appreciated! :)

My avatar
slumberlion
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Nasty nasty bum rash! :(

Postby slumberlion » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:26 pm

Just thinking I might post a photo in the morning!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:34 pm

Sounds a lot like it could be thrush-based with the spots and sores. Try getting some Canesten 1% (maybe from the Doc, or you can get it from pharmacies) and using that instead.

Frequent bum changes help as does plenty of nappy-off time (we've been chasing round after Bella to mop up tiddle). Also try not to use baby wipes or cloth wipes too much. If LO has only wee'd, you can just dry her up and not clean her and then put the nappy on - or leave nappy free.

Hope you get it sorted. Bella's sore bum is frightening to look at atm, but is slowly getting better.

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:36 pm

might be an idea to get dr to look as its been there a while with no improvement.
I'd probably use plain water if pooss with lots of short baths - clean towel each time just in case.
hope it improves soon

wet wipes might irritate oopen sores more

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:46 pm

I'm another vote for the Dr here - it could well be infected, open sores can get nasty and don't heal quickly unfortunately...

The magic cream I use is angel baby bottom balm... Contains stuff to speed up healing as well...
http://www.theremustbeabetterway.co.uk/ ... reams.html

Also I soaked my fleece liners in cold cammomile tea and used a soaking wet liner in her night nappy (wet healing is fab) and dried out ones in the daytime and you know what it worked wonders!!

Pure aloe-vera gel is also wonderful for cooling and soothing those nasty sore rashes. Image

Sounds like you're doing the right thing with the nappies switching back to what worked before - don't forget to wash them at 60 until the rash is well and truly gone though to kill any thrush...

Personally I'm not a fan of thick creams which block the air getting to the rash as for us it hindered healing not aided - so I would recommend lots of nappy off time... That said if you've got open sores other than changing really really superfast after poos it can help to put a bit of a barrier on them... Shea butter worked well for us :)

Also agree with PP if your LO has wee'd but not pooed then don't wipe - just change the nappy as repeated wiping wipes off the cream and aggravates the skin.

Angel baby nappy rash soap (well diaper rash soap) Image again from http://www.theremustbeabetterway.co.uk is fab stuff for cleaning a bum when LO has a rash - always rinse off after using it with water but it's great stuff and I use it for my hands when my eczema flares up...

For now try and avoid any nappies that use microfibre as it can be abit sweaty and stick to bamboo and hemp if you can as much as possible, and also to breathable wraps such as wool if you can - this bit isn't essential but will help speed up the healing.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:50 pm

Can't really add much more, you have some great advice there. Just wanted to send some >:D< to you and your dd, it is awful when they are sore.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:46 pm

>:D<

Sounds just like the rash Ben had for months on end - his turned out to be fungal, we were prescribed Datakcort, which works on the fungal, then we were lashing on vaseline which did nothing for the fleece liners, then switched to using Bepanthen as the barrier cream to keep the daktacort in contact on the skin and not washing off as soon as wee or poo touched it. We changed nappies every 2 hours or sooner if a poo (unless still asleep). It took a few months to fully go and washing nappies at 60 degrees in bio powder as non bio just made it worse.

Cleaning and drying properly really helped - apparently his started all along because we were not washing the skin enough clean of the wee. then a proper pat dry before creams and nappy. With the infection we had I have to say nappy off time didn't make a difference so we just went with nappies and making sure changing often enough. At first with wet nappies we did used to clean everything with soap but as the rash got more under control we went with just changing nappies without cleaning if wet if the cream was still on - occured around the time poos became less frequent.

Hope you can sort this out quickly >:D<

My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby bubbaloo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:00 pm

My DS suffered from terrible bouts of thrush, had canesten for ages. Finally what cured it was drops of grapefruit seed extract which I got from Health shop. I use about 20 drops in a ramekin of water and clean with that and then put on Vitamin E liquid/capsules with zinc cream to heal the sores very quickly once a day. Metanium rest of the time.

GSE drops are proven to be more effective against the bacteria that causes thrush, and believe me, he was using canesten for 4 weeks with slight improvement and hyrdocortisone cream. This was on and off for months. Since I use the drops in his water everyday now, thrush hasnt come back since.

Lots of nappy free time too.

Good luck, HTH >:D<

My avatar
slumberlion
Clothie
Clothie

Postby slumberlion » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:22 am

Thanks everyone! I'm off to get some more canesten and vaseline, and also some grapefruit seed extract and vit e! I'll let you know how I get on!
I think I'll get some of that aloe vera gel too!
xx

Next

Return to Nappy Rash