hf1

Dry blistered skin

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Dry blistered skin

Postby Rebeccar75 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi, I don't know if my son has nappy rash.... on his right thigh the skin is really dry - almost like eczema. Sometimes it blisters it's so bad, looks agonising. It's very red and angry looking. It started a while back when I took his nn off in the morning.

I have Weleda nappy cream, Weleda skin food cream, sudocrem and metanium. Iv'e been putting one of the Weleda creams on his skin and putting a sudocrem barrier over it at night, occasionally metanium. None of these have improved it so I thought I might get some disposables for night and see if that helps.

Any advice>
?

Rebecca

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Dry blistered skin

Postby anothersquish » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:53 pm

where is it coming up? where the elastic sits? Lower? What covers are you using?

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Rebeccar75 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:31 pm

It seems to be around the cover area - I use totsbots bamboozle stretch with a totsbots fleece wrap. I bought an Eco bots fleece wrap which is really big compared to the totsbots and the problem started then. I hardly ever use that one now as it's too big.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:45 pm

Is it possible hes having a reaction to the fleece? Do you use fleece liners?
Have you tried a different type of cover?

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Got to say I'd probably pop him in (I can't believe I'm saying this) sposies for a couple of nights to see if it clears up.
When it does I go back to my nappies with a different wrap if that works your'll know it's the fleece.
Chamomile tea used to wipe the area always works for my too when things are looking soar.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:51 pm

It could be the fleece he is reacting to, when DD was in nappies she reacted to fleece liners x

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Rebeccar75 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:49 am

I don't think he is allergic to fleece as he wears fleece lined pocket nappies and never has a prob with them. Could it be an ill fitting cover so the wee leaks and rubs...??
I have to sadly say that if it doesn't clear up I think I will have to move to disposables at night as I can't afford to keep on buying new cloth to experiment with and endless new creams. :cry:

x

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:57 am

Try an additional fleece liner going the wrong way, so it pokes out the nappy/wrap and stops anything rubbing on the sore. Also try a emmoillent cream in the day! Both mine get this on one leg and it is eczema but the rubbing of the nappy makes it worse!

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:15 am

We have had something that sounds very similar. It seems to be mostly under control at the moment, but we have been using sposies at night :oops: though actually she also gets it with sposies just in a slightly different place.

The thing that seems to have made most difference is to start using lotion with my wipes. I was just using water and I think maybe it wasn't getting her clean enough, and/or was drying the skin or not drying properly :-? Now I use a cloth wipe with water but put a squirt of lotion on as well (I have a green baby lotion but any lotion / moisturiser would be fine).

I have also used talc, which also helped, it reduces friction and keeps the skin dryer I think??

Also I found that I needed to increase the absorbency of the nappies and change more frequently. If the nappy gets too wet it rubs the legs far worse.

Next

Return to Nappy Rash