hf1

Bit baffled by rash.

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Bit baffled by rash.

Postby Mumof5 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Dottie has had persistent nappy rash for over 3 months. It doesn't seem to bother her, although she always tries to scratch it at nappy change time, so it is obviously itchy. I have tried a few different remedies, including waitrose bottom butter, bepantham, egg white and a calendula, chamomile and peppermint ointment that a herbalist friend of mine made up for her. The thing that's baffling me the most is that the most basic treatment for nappy rash (frequent changing and nappy free time) actually makes it worse! :-? In fact the only time it ever really bothers her is when she has had her nappy off for a little while, her bum goes really red and sore. I've never experienced a rash like it before, has anyone else? Any ideas?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Bit baffled by rash.

Postby Shaunie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:23 pm

What are the inners of her nappies made from? Could she be reacting to a particular fabric? DS2 had awful nappy rash with the disposable paper liners and within 24hrs of switching to fleece it cleared completely. Some babies react to fleece though so it's trial and error.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Could it be from the changing DD was like this I was obly using water to clean er with and it was almost a I her www was si strong and they water wasn't cleaning it off properally and as the skin dried it got worse. I starting using a little almond oil in ther water just a drop or two but it seems to have made a difference.

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:36 pm

I use a variety of different nappies and its the same whatever I try. We have minky liners, fleece liners, paper liners, we use terries and motherease with wool, flips, easyfits, bamboozles, weenotions, etc :oops: With wipes I have used just water, chamomile tea, olive oil, even some flushable wipes I had in a beaming baby toiletry bundle. I wash with bio powder, I do a pre-wash with no detergent, then a 60 degree with about 1tbsp of powder, followed by 2 rinse cycles.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Try changing one thing at a time then give it a couple of days to see if there are improvements. Paper liners were def the culprit for us.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:11 pm

What about thrush or something? William developed a yeast infection a few days after he was born, was prescribed canestan and it cleared x

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:29 pm

definitely not thrush, my eldest had thrush when he was a bubba - but this is different.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:48 pm

What are you changing on? If it's happening after a change and in nappy off time could it be something they are laying on? Probably way off but a thought.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby confusinglady » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:10 pm

What does the rash look like? Spots or sore skin?

Paper liners cause my dd1 sore red skin but she also had a recurrent rash of little spots that would go from one place then appear next to it. The docs said it was a common viral thing that can last for months and appear anywhere on the child but ours only appeared on her bottom.
Hope you can sort it out xxxx

Next

Return to Nappy Rash