hf1

Nappy rash help.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Nappy rash help.

Postby KimmyM » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:52 pm

DD woke up this morning fine. We went to the beach and I changed after after lunch she had a dirty nappy and was quite sore. When we got home I washed her with chammomile tea and popped some cream on and she went to sleep she just woke up 90mins later and I went to change her again and she had another dirty nappy and she was so sore she had some blood :cry:
I can't smell when she has a dirty nappy and she is a secret pooper. I usually change her 3 hourly but check in between
Has anyone got any tips to help clear this up I feel so bad for her.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Nappy rash help.

Postby Twinkletoes » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Well the usual things like fresh air are good, egg white helps, but not sure I'd put it on broken skin. The best barrier cream I found was to use lansinoh. Poor baba, hope it heals quickly.

Might be worth checking for poo more often while she's got skin eating poo?

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:03 pm

It's the first time it's ever happened i will get DH to grab some on the way home she always goes 3-4x a day but I guess I normally catch her at it :cry:

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 pm

It happens. Is she teething? Eating bananas used to help a bit with my dd. something about the acidity of pee/poo.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:16 pm

Oh god my mum has spent my entire life saying how bad my rah was when I was teething (I think there may even be a picture if it) I wasn't awear she was but she is 40 weeks so it wouldn't be before time. I'll have a look in her mouth in a mo. Think we had better change eery few hours tonight poor missy will jot be impressed.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:42 pm

For really bad nappy rash I'd try metanium. Wet healing can sometimes help (soak a liner in chamomile tea and pop it in the nappy). We've also had timodine before for persistan rashes as it contains several active ingredients so one of them should work (steroid, antifungal and antiseptic I think) but not sure if you have to get that on prescription or not as we've always got one for it from the HV/GP.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:09 pm

My daughter used to get really bad nappy rash from her skin coming in contact with poo as well. I tried all sorts of creams. The one from the local children's hospital with cod liver oil in it worked reasonably well, but be careful, cod liver oil stains nappies and makes them smell. (I learnt this the hard way.)

But the thing that really, really helped was cornflour. Good old-fashioned cornflour (or cornstarch, depending on where you are). Just clean her bottom and sprinkle liberally with cornflour. It works wonders! :)

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:23 pm

Oooh, cornflour is a new one on me!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Ooh I'll try cornflour tomorrow. I had metanium in and that's what I had been using but I'll try soaking her liners tomorrow. Stupid question but should I soak and dry them first.
I have been trying to leave her nappy free for as long as possible but have had another two dirty nappies I can't believe she can poop this much it's mad. I can't find anything in her mouth but teething would make sense so I'll keep looking.

Next

Return to Nappy Rash