My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: Nappy rash help.

Postby Louise » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:44 pm

No don't dry the liners, they're supposed to be wet. If the metanium isn't doing much I'd say you need something like the timodine with active ingredients as it may well be infected. I would guess that the cornflour works as it helps to completely dry the bottom (some people use it instead of talc) but can't see it being particularly effective on a severe rash but haven't ever tried it myself so who knows! :lol:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:49 pm

If it has only started to be sore today and has become sore enough to bleed it's likely to take a few days to heal no matter what u try.Nathan's was really bad when he was really constipated and was doing lots of little poos. It's better to keep broken skin moist so I would avoid the cornflour. We found that cleaning gently and not wiping after wees helped as welkl as putting something moisturising under the metanium.It tooks 3-4 days of doing that for it to heal so worth giving it a couple of days before trying anything different.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks I'll stick with what we are doing for a couple of days then.
It's crazy fine at 11 bleeding at 12.30. I've got to be honest I'm not sure I'd the metanium would work but everytime I have out a nappy on her she has pooped within 20mins so I have cleaned it off not sure it's had a chance to work.
I've got somewaitrose bum butter should I pop a thin layer of that on before the metanium?
I've cancelled tomorrows plan's so we can stay in and stay bare :) hope her ickle bum is showing some improvement tomorrow.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:21 pm

KimmyM wrote:Ooh I'll try cornflour tomorrow. I had metanium in and that's what I had been using but I'll try soaking her liners tomorrow. Stupid question but should I soak and dry them first.
I have been trying to leave her nappy free for as long as possible but have had another two dirty nappies I can't believe she can poop this much it's mad. I can't find anything in her mouth but teething would make sense so I'll keep looking.

I'm not sure what you mean about soaking and drying the liners. In terms of the cornflour, you just sprinkle it on her dry bottom (and rub it in a bit to spread it around) and put the nappy on. That's all.

I hope I can say this without offending anyone, but I don't believe that half the things that are blamed on teething (such as diarrhoea) have anything at all to do with teething. The number of times people have said to me "Oh, she must be teething" when my daughter was grumpy, or had diarrhoea, or was chewing her fingers, or was just drooling. And then she didn't get her first tooth until she was 12 months! I think it's just all a bit of coincidence most of the time, and we like to have something to blame, so teething's as good as anything. And because she was such a late teether, she didn't get some of her front bottom teeth until she was 2, so old enough to tell me whether it hurt or not, and she said it didn't. And why should it? It doesn't hurt when your adult teeth come through either. Anyway, rant over :lol: My point is, it's probably not teething. (Please don't anybody be offended if you disagree. Let's just agree to disagree.)

I hope the cornflour works as well for you as it did for us.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:24 pm

lazylexis wrote:If it has only started to be sore today and has become sore enough to bleed it's likely to take a few days to heal no matter what u try.Nathan's was really bad when he was really constipated and was doing lots of little poos. It's better to keep broken skin moist so I would avoid the cornflour. We found that cleaning gently and not wiping after wees helped as welkl as putting something moisturising under the metanium.It tooks 3-4 days of doing that for it to heal so worth giving it a couple of days before trying anything different.

Oops, I didn't see there was a second page of posts already. So the comment about soaking liners was to do with the metanium, was it?

Are you sure it's better to keep broken skin moist? That seems counter-intuitive to me...

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:47 pm

Juli wrote:
lazylexis wrote:If it has only started to be sore today and has become sore enough to bleed it's likely to take a few days to heal no matter what u try.Nathan's was really bad when he was really constipated and was doing lots of little poos. It's better to keep broken skin moist so I would avoid the cornflour. We found that cleaning gently and not wiping after wees helped as welkl as putting something moisturising under the metanium.It tooks 3-4 days of doing that for it to heal so worth giving it a couple of days before trying anything different.

Oops, I didn't see there was a second page of posts already. So the comment about soaking liners was to do with the metanium, was it?

Are you sure it's better to keep broken skin moist? That seems counter-intuitive to me...

My sister is a GP so I would think she knows more than most :wink: The comment about soaking liners was in response to my suggestion about wet healing. Some people have found that putting a wet liner that has been soaked in chamomile tea inside the nappy rather than just a dry one helps to clear the rash. Silk liners can also help too apparently.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:49 pm

Louise wrote:
Juli wrote:

My sister is a GP so I would think she knows more than most :wink: The comment about soaking liners was in response to my suggestion about wet healing. Some people have found that putting a wet liner that has been soaked in chamomile tea inside the nappy rather than just a dry one helps to clear the rash. Silk liners can also help too apparently.

I see, yes that makes sense. We have used camomile tea as well, but I couldn't tell whether it made much of a difference.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:55 pm

And I agree about the teething. I haven't noticed when any of mine have been teething. :oops: M has two teeth already and I've not noticed any changes at all, just seen the teeth in her mouth. :oops: :lol:

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Really DS gets conpleatly covered in a hive like rash every time a tooth cut. Prehaps Flora will be a silent teether

PreviousNext

Return to Nappy Rash