hf1

The great fruit and veg challenge

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

The great fruit and veg challenge

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Austin is a star when it comes to fruit and veg (he has just eaten baby corn, courgette and peas with his dinner) the only thing he has tried and not liked is parsnip and cooked mushrooms and I know he doesn't like them because it made him retch so he did try really hard :)
I need some new fruit and veg for him to try. We have had most things, hence asking for help but I want to try and broaden his diet when it comes to fruit and veg so I need to test his limits, good recipes also welcome :)

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: The great fruit and veg challenge

Postby LilMrsAverage » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:09 pm

subbing :D

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Aubergine? Plums, blackcurrents, rhubarb, melon, different beans- Pea surprised me by scoffing a load of broad beans the other day! Cabbage, kale (we love this dry fried with toasted pine nuts)chard, spinach um. Can't think of more atm but there's a few to be getting on with :)

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Aubergine, kale, chard and spinache we haven't had, what do I do with them (gonna try a veggi moussaka with aubergine I reckon)

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Chard and spinach are v similar, I like steamed or chopped and cooked down with chili and garlic in the frying pan on low heat with a touch of oil.
Kale- have heard its lovely baked (not sure how you'd do this but worth googling) it is supposed to make a cheesy crisp type thing apparently. I tend to toast some pine nuts and then dry fry the kale. When it goes a bit crispy I toss in the nuts. It is also v nice cooked with a splash of raspberry vinegar and sesame oil.
My other fave is steamed green beans which you then add to caramelised red onions and cherry tomatoes, add to pan and splash on balsamoc then llow to fry down until toms are squishy and vinegar is gone. This is lovely served as a warm salad and you can add asparagus too- yummy!
Celeriac? Grated with a nice dressing or as a creamy soup.
Jerusalem artichoke, artichokes, watercress, pak choi oh the list goes on. I recommend the Sophie Griggson vegetable book. It might be Jane Griggson, can't remember but loads in there :)

My avatar
Connie_334
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Connie_334 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Barnaby loves papaya with the juice of half a lime squeezed on it. I prepare it in the morning and let the juice sink in so it's ready for lunchtime.

Return to Healthy Eating