Using lotions/creams with baby wipes

My avatar
shell_001
Clothie
Clothie

Using lotions/creams with baby wipes

Postby shell_001 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi ladies,

I'm after some help. I've used washable wipes for my two children, and I know im going to find it hard work mixing wipes solutions - remembering when i mixed it etc. etc. for my third.
So looking through my cupboards I have a vast array of organic baby lotions, body shop moisturisers etc. Do you think it would be ok to use these as a 'cleaning agent' Obviously I would watch out for any reaction, what does anybody think.
Also, if not, is there any products that can be brought and are long lasting as a wipes solution to put on wipes as and when needed, again - don't want to be making my own for a while.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Using lotions/creams with baby wipes

Postby ladybird » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Sorry, I can't help with the lotions, etc. But just to say that I only ever used water and would just wet a wipe from the tap (cold usually - nasty aren't I!?) as I needed. I'd grab a few for a poo, just one for a wet nappy, wet and get everything together before getting baby ready to change. I don't think there's a need for anything else personally. Water did the job just fine, with a daily soapy wash in the nappy area.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:24 pm

I usually just use water too and like ladybird, I'm mean and use cold water too! Occasionally I do *treat* DS and put a few drops of lavender oil or tee tree oil into the tub of cold water & I just wet the wipes as I need them and change the water every few days.

I know quite a few people use chamomile(sp) tea for wipe solution. I have recently tested some wipe cubes for a lady on here which are fine but I shall probably just carry on like usual!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:26 pm

I either use plain water or a camomile tea bag (allow to brew in boiling water and leave to cool) :) or plain water with a squirt of baby bath in it.

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 pm

We put water in a spray bottle (from Superdrug) with a couple of drops of lavender oil. Spray it onto DD and wipe. We find that if you spray the wipe rather than the botty, you end up using more water as it all soaks into the wipe.

My avatar
shell_001
Clothie
Clothie

Postby shell_001 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Thank you for your replies, I was a bit concerned about keeping water 'standing' for a few days but i'm guessing the oils help keep it fresh?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:51 pm

we're another lot who just wet wipes under the tap as and when needed. grab baby, grab wipes, wet wipes, put baby and wipes where they will be changed and get on with it. no need to have water standing. and imo no need for anything else in the water. i know that a lot of the oils etc are not recommended for under 6 months also (can't remember which ones though, sorry).

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:55 pm

Another one who just used water with the washable wipes. I did buy some wipe wash (Northern Essence foaming wipe solution) but always forgot to use it when we were out :roll: . I also made some wipe solution a couple of times - camomile tea and something else (?) but it seemed too much of a faff when plain old water did the job just as well.

My avatar
x2008xbabyx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby x2008xbabyx » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:19 pm

I've been using cold water with a squirt of Johnsons top-to-toe in. Maybe I was too heavy handed with the baby bath, but I found it was a bit too 'soapy'. I've been using a travel wipe box, just soaking a few wipes in the water and then squeezing them out a little, but not completely, and then putting the wipes in the box - it holds about a days worth, so no wipes left standing about, and I love them :D

Next

Return to Washable Wipes