Lifespan of washable wipes

My avatar
Sparkley
Clothie
Clothie

Lifespan of washable wipes

Postby Sparkley » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi all,

How often do you all replace your wipes? I love the softness of new wipes and feel that mine lose that quite quickly. I wash and dry my wipes alongside my nappies.
Today I received some new ones in the post and was surprised at how rough my old ones felt compared to the brand new. I hadn't previously thought about how often I should be replacing them. Obviously I haven't been replacing them enough though!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Lifespan of washable wipes

Postby monsterm » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:54 pm

They don't need to be soft & fluffy. I assume you are air drying rather than the tumble drier. Some of my better quality ones are still soft & fluffy after nearly 2 years of use. I have some second hand ones that were homemade by the previous owner. They were never soft & fluffy but they do a great job.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:06 pm

I haven't replaced any of mine yet and have been using some of them for over 2 years. I suppose it depends what they are made of, mine are mainly fleece, bamboo fleece and bamboo velour so don't go as hard as some other fabrics.

My avatar
kermitgirl
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby kermitgirl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:14 pm

I have some bald IKEA flannels that have done five years of service, when they get really holey I chuck them. I have about 60 wipes some are old flannels, some are wahm cloth wipes.

My avatar
Sparkley
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Sparkley » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Mmmmm yes I do tumble dry them. That must be where I'm going wrong

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:32 pm

I've never really had to replace them because they've been used too much! It doesn't matter if they're not super soft as they won't be rough when they're wet. I find fleece wipes are much more effective after lots of washing and bobbling!

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:58 pm

We have hard water so they go crunchy really quickly. They don't work any less.

My avatar
Sparkley
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Sparkley » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:32 pm

I prefer them soft moreso in liner form, but yes for the wipes it doesn't matter too much. I might buy from a few different places and see what comes up trumps. Mine are definitely bobbling and not a good feel. Could be our water or my tumble dryer. Thanks ladies

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:45 pm

Mine are 16 months old & still lovely & soft & I tumble dry them, they are all bamboo velour backed with bamboo jersey and are a mixture of DnF, LLS and GF.

I had some junior joy ones but they went horrid & hard and looked nasty after a few washes so I chucked them.

Next

Return to Washable Wipes