hf1

Tell me about storing wipes wet?!

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Tell me about storing wipes wet?!

Postby weebee » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:42 pm

Please can you tell me a bit more about storing your wipes wet? At the minute I use a wee spray bottle for out and about which works really well as the wipes stay fresh even if I don't go out for a few days. However I'm filling up a wee bowl for at home and think I could save a lot of water by wet storing my wipes. I'm a little unsure about how to do it though! I don't have much space by my changing area so was thinking about storing them in a bag rather than a box- what size would you recommend? I use a mixture of flannels and junior joy wipes- the flannels will be too bulky for a bag :-( I could cut them down but I think I'd need to hem them- I don't have a sewing machine though :( Do you just put your wipes straight into your container/ bag straight from the washing washing? Do you fill the container/ bag with water? If so how much and do you need something else to dry your baby's bum to save it from being clammy? Would you use essential oils/ any other solution for a 2 month old?

Sorry for ALL the questions and Thanks in advance! :D

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Tell me about storing wipes wet?!

Postby anothersquish » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:02 pm

I use a small clip top box, it fits about 8-10 wipes in, its small enough to stick in my bag (I fold the wipes in half to fit in it). If I dont need to use the wipes straight out of the machine I hang them to dry, if Ineed them right away I will stick them straight in the wipe box.
I only use enough water to get the wipes damp, I tend to run them under the tap, get them wet, squeeze out the excess and put them in the box...I dont use anything other than water anymore. Because I only use minimal water his bum isnt left wet at all so its not a problem.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:22 pm

We use a bag when out & about, but at home have a small plastic box with a flip up lid.
When they come out the washer - they go in a pile in the kitchen, until the box is almost empty - then we make a fresh wipes solution & put the wipes into the box & pour the solution over them.
I use cold camomile tea - has stained my wipes a bit beige rather than the prestine white they were to start - but its so much more soothing on my LO's bottom.
When it comes to packing the change bag - I just take 5-8 wipes out of the box (squeeze excess off so only slightly damp) and put them in a monkey foot bag for out & about.
Any plastic box works. Our first one was the freebie one that came with the bounty pack to hold pampers wipes!

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:11 pm

We don't store them wet, we just use a spray bottle for at home, as well as when we are out.
I just find it easier that way. We'd need dry wipes for drying DDs botty anyway, so might as well keep all the wipes dry IMO. I also read on here a post about wipes going mouldy, which put me right off storing them wet!

My avatar
Cherylw
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Cherylw » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:02 pm

Bluebell wrote:We don't store them wet, we just use a spray bottle for at home, as well as when we are out.
I just find it easier that way. We'd need dry wipes for drying DDs botty anyway, so might as well keep all the wipes dry IMO. I also read on here a post about wipes going mouldy, which put me right off storing them wet!

Yep - i'm the same - a spray bottle and I just spray how many i need there and then - much less messy!

My avatar
Cocobelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Cocobelle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi

What's a monkey foot bag?

Thanks.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Cocobelle wrote:Hi

What's a monkey foot bag?

Thanks.

It's a brand of wet bag. They are fab. Worth the expense. They have a great handle on the side which is great to clip to things, funky designs and a secure zip!

My avatar
Cocobelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Cocobelle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:23 pm

I've just been hearing about them in another discussion. They sound fab and look gorgeous. I've been looking online but can't find a design I really like so I've put a wanted ad on classifieds. I suppose I could buy one to do me until I find a design I love. It would be better than the carrier bags I'm using atm!

Thanks.

Coco x

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:48 am

We use the Cheeky Wipes system. When the wipes are washed they go straight into the bottom of the box with water and a few drops of lavender essential oil. I try and make sure the eipes are damp rather than wet, but we've never had a problem with mouldy wipes. We use a small monkey foot wetbag when out and about.

Next

Return to Washable Wipes