hf1

Alternatives to detergent when washing nappies

My avatar
sugarplum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Alternatives to detergent when washing nappies

Postby sugarplum » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:06 pm

so, DS has really bad allergies and no matter what i use to wash his nappies in he gets nappy rash, DS2 and DD are both fine, its just him.
Ive narrowed it down to the perfume in the detergent so does anyone have any experience in washing using just soda crystals/bicarb/vinegar/borax/natural soap.
I use soapnuts and washer balls for the clothing so its not an issue with his clothes i have found that using these for nappies just does not work for us.
in a nut shell- i need to wash my nappies in something other than detergent, soapnuts or washer balls.
any ideas???
i was thinking of trying just soda crystals tonight mixed with a bit of borax and a grating of soap from suma!!
washing id going on in an hour so ideas by then would be brill.
thanks guys

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Alternatives to detergent when washing nappies

Postby lazylexis » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Soda crystals made ds's skin worse but he's ok with the simply sensitive stuff

My avatar
ulig
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ulig » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:43 pm

I used this for all our laundry, including cloth nappies. It has no perfume or other unnecessary nonsense and cleans really well http://www.charliesoap.com/index.html You can get it in the UK from http://www.diverswarehouse.co.uk/index. ... _1451_1381
I would still use it, but the price almost doubled within the last year, so I just can't afford it anymore :(

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:15 am

I try to use handmade detergent on nappies etc too, if I can get around to making it (although it's so easy that's not really an excuse!) I also loved Simple washing tablets.

sugarplum wrote:i was thinking of trying just soda crystals tonight mixed with a bit of borax and a grating of soap from suma!!

I've done this in the past, but made up a load of it so you just have to add a spoonful to the machine. AFAIK, cheap washing powders aren't much more than this, along with bulking agents and fragrances etc.

Have you tried any of these?
http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-s ... t-recipes/
I use recipe #3, and add essential oils when cooled. The powdered recipe #4 is good too. Results can depend on the type of soap used, don't use one that has added moisturiser or anything, supermarket value soap works for me!

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:00 am

Have you tried soap flakes? A bit better than soap nuts and bio d nappy soak is good too I had the same problem with my lo so used bio d and soap flakes in the wash with extra rinses. Her skin can tolerate a small amount of one brand of washing detergent now.

My avatar
belfastyank
Clothie
Clothie

Postby belfastyank » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:52 am

I found the ecoballs awful for nappies, too. I made washing powder using borax substitute, soda crystals, bicarb of soda, soap flakes and white vinegar. It works far better than ecoballs, but still not great on nappies. At the moment I use Mark's & Spencer's Sensitve Laundry tablets for the nappies because they are fragrance free. The M&S detergent is the best fragrance-free option I've used so far.

My avatar
sugarplum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sugarplum » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:08 pm

ive now started using 1 tablespoon of persil bio and extra rinses and its blooming brilliant!!!
no irritation on LO skin and its so clean.
It means i dont have to rewash and if there are any (faint) stains they sun out really easily.

thanks for all your comments though.

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies