hf1

Argh! cannot get my nappies clean!

My avatar
motherof4
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Argh! cannot get my nappies clean!

Postby motherof4 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:23 pm

ive used cloth for over 7 years and never had a problem, except the odd strip wash.

i bought a new machine when ours blew up 2 years ago, and have been having problems ever since.

the nappies are either not coming clean (still smell of wee) or have build up (if i use more powder)

heres what i have tried:

bold 2in1
tesco bio
Daz
various liquids
totbots potion

heres my washing routine:
cold rinse
60 deg wash
cold rinse

i have also tried
cold rinse
sports wash
60 deg wasg
cold rinse x2

and
cold rinse
60 deg wash
cold handwash (most water)
rinse

i have also stripped the nappies, done a machine maintenance wash, cleaned the filter, descaled the machine, cleaned the drain and water supply pipes, cleaned the door seal.

fecking useless machine. uses bugger all water!!

i think i need to replace my machine :evil:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Argh! cannot get my nappies clean!

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:58 pm

My first option would be to do another cold rinse, or even a cold wash without powder. The rinse might not be enough on its own if its a water saving machine

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:21 pm

While your machine is taking in water pour a couple of jugfulls of water in through the detergent drawer, it's a faff but the extra water makes a big difference. If it's an intelligent machine (weighs the wash load and adds water accordingly) then throw in a soaking wet towel with the nappies.

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:44 pm

I highly rate ariel powder (green box), others have had some good suggestions too.

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:13 pm

I rinse twice with no powder, then pre-wash no powder, then 60 degrees with 1-2 tbsp powder, with 3 extra rinses on the end. Sometimes I add a couple of drops of lavender oil as well. I didn't use to do so many rinses in the start of the cycle, but dd started doing really pongy wees after she stopped bf!

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies