hf1

Ftm new to cd please help

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Ftm new to cd please help

Postby Kim » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:54 am

My nursery said they were fine with it but in reality my daughters key worker hated them and kept throwing them away on bin collection day. This time around we will be using a different nursery/childminder and will be making sure they are really happy to use cloth.

My avatar
msghjg
Clothie
Clothie

Postby msghjg » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:36 pm

Can u also help me further
so from ur experience so far some important things i should keep in mind while washing cd
to get rid of stains
to get rid of smelly nappy
Best detergent to use
How.good nappy get cleaned and disinfected does it depend on machine? Detergent? Or any other factor?
Can i soak them in water with few drops of dettol ?

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi @msghjg
I've just been reading your thread and from last week (was on hols so catching up) and looks like your last question maybe wasn't answered?
There have been several chats about different washing powders and methods so have a look through, but generally most people (including me) seem to do the following:
1 x rinse cycle - this rinses out all the wee and breast fed poo so no need to soak before hand (and I really wouldn't use anything like detol on your nappies, not needed and chemicals might not be good with elastics and / or fabrics).
1 x normal wash cycle at 40/60 degrees. For this you will only need 1/4 or 1/2 the normal recommended amount of washing powder. I know it feels counter intuitive but don't be tempted to use more as over time it will build up in your nappies and make them smell! I always put PLU wraps and pockets in at 40 but very occassionally I'll do a 60 wash for my bamboo and hemp inserts/boosters, fitted nappies and prefolds.
Some people also put couple of drops of teatree oil in the wash to act as natural antiseptic but I haven't tried this myself.
1 x rinse (or more if you still see detergent suds during the rinse).
When you hang the nappies up, if you notice any stains (I doubt there will be many) just put the stain facing 'out' (iyswim) and then put the clothes horse in the window. I didn't believe it till I tried myself but the sun even seems to work its magic through the closed window :shock:

In terms of detergent I think it's largely personal preference. From what I've heard washing powder seems more popular as lots of people (but not everyone) report build up in nappies when using liquid.
I have very recently switched from non-bio to bio washing powder and the difference in how clean the nappies come out is undeniable!

I hope all your questions have been answered along the way now :thumbsup:

My avatar
msghjg
Clothie
Clothie

Postby msghjg » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:30 am

@dancingmum
yep
thank you so much for detailed info
appericiated.

Previous