Dettol laundry detergent

My avatar
Stephkidd89
Clothie
Clothie

Dettol laundry detergent

Postby Stephkidd89 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:36 am

Hi,

Totally new to all this cloth nappying-number one due soon :) my partner has asked if we should use something like the dettol detergent to wash the nappies (even just as an occasional thing to ensure they aren't getting too icky!) but as far as Id been made aware the best thing is non bio and half as much as you'd use for a load normally? we are likely to be washing at 40 most of the time for economy and I imagine 60 would wear the nappies faster? We are going to be using mostly all in ones/pocket nappies if it makes any difference.

Any tips on this? Thanks

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Dettol laundry detergent

Postby Louise » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:05 am

Bio detergent is better for nappies IMO. We live in a hard water area so I use a full dose of Bold 2 in 1 (the softener is clay based so doesn't affect absorbency) then rinse several times at the end of the wash to remove as much detergent residue as possible. I always washed my nappies at 60 and never had any problems with them. You can wash at 40 but it is recommended to wash newborn nappies at 60 for the first few months or if you have two in cloth. I have never used any kind of nappy sanitisier as with modern machines it just isn't necessary.

My avatar
Katielou
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Katielou » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:45 pm

I use dettol as I wash at 40 and use wipes for face and hands for toddler aswell. i wash lower to preserve nappies but know many wash higher. Also I use half dose bio as found non didn't clean poo stains so well. 1 extra rinse, wash routine already takes 3hrs so couldn't be doing any more rinses!

My avatar
Stephkidd89
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Stephkidd89 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:54 pm

Thanks :D I guess it'll be a bit of trial and error to find what works for us, we are also in a hard water area so may look into the 2 in 1 if they're getting crispy! Will only have one in cloth so think I'll start by trying a half dose bio at 40, and sometimes adding the dettol liquid / nappysan or something to ensure they're fully clean. I think I'd run them through at 60 if baby was ill or if they look like they need it though!

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies