hf1

Preloved pockets smell like dog!?!

My avatar
meixin804
Clothie
Clothie

Preloved pockets smell like dog!?!

Postby meixin804 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:35 pm

I have got a parcel with 15 pocket nappies preloved. I put them straight in the wash: cold rinse, main wash and line dry.

When I brought them in off the line... oddly some smelled like dog and others were fine -no smell at all.
What can I do to get the smell out? Line dry? A couple more washes?

I'm going to throw them in with my dirty nappies for now and use lots of detergent!

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Preloved pockets smell like dog!?!

Postby LynniferT » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Another couple of 60 degree washes with plenty of rinses and if they still smell maybe leave them out overnight or in the rain... I'm sure that helps with smells/buildup?

Im assuming its a wet dog smell, kind of musty? Maybe left wet too long by the previous owner?

My avatar
meixin804
Clothie
Clothie

Postby meixin804 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:35 pm

LynniferT wrote:Another couple of 60 degree washes with plenty of rinses and if they still smell maybe leave them out overnight or in the rain... I'm sure that helps with smells/buildup?

Im assuming its a wet dog smell, kind of musty? Maybe left wet too long by the previous owner?

I'm not sure what it is. It's more like musty dog that hasn't been washed. I will try a nice long 60 wash and handing them up again. It was raining here for a while when they were on the line. :/
Only paid 18 for 15 pockets so I'm not too upset!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:07 am

As Lynne said plenty of rinses, go and actually look at your machine while it has water in it before the last spin of the rinse cycle, if there are still bubbles - rinse again!

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:09 am

I swear by a couple of days in the rain for stripping, but that usually means that we don't see any...
Even in Wales :giggle:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:50 pm

I'm another one who would agree with @clothmama Keep rinsing until you know that they are totally clear of soap build up and then dry as normal.

I hope you get fresh smelling nappies soon.

My avatar
TheCatsMeow
Clothie
Clothie

Postby TheCatsMeow » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:18 am

I had a similar issue with some bum genius pre loved nappies that I won off eBay. I tried all the similar things advised but still got the dog smell. I ended up doing a strip wash and they were finally smelling fresh and lovely again!

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:36 am

I'm not sure you can use on pockets but I use bicarb on my nappies when they're stinky.

I soak them in the sink with bicarb then wash them as normal. Works everytime.

It also works on my husband's sweaty work shirts.

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies