hf1

Oh goodness, washing problem, help!

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Oh goodness, washing problem, help!

Postby Bumboleo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:30 pm

Just taken a load of nappies out of the machine and there was definitely a whiff of poop when I opened the door :shock: Had a bit of a sniff and not convinced they're clean!! :doh:

I have suspected this past week that we're getting slight 'barnyard stink' as soon as he wees...

Changes I've made lately are only:

Switching from non-bio to bio powder.
Changing our inserts to mf on top of hemp.

So I think the mf is probably the culprit? I've read they hang on to stink. But they're the only way we don't get leaks at the mo!

So I've put the nappies on again, 60 degrees, bio detergent. Might run and extra rinse? Any advice?

Agh, I am 11 months into cloth nappying and still feel like a newbie lately!! I guess I am really. Hopefully the next baby will get the better deal, won't be my test dummy! :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Oh goodness, washing problem, help!

Postby clothmama » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:06 pm

Oh no that's no good! Are you doing a cold rinse first? This is vital as heat will set the smells particularly urine if you wash at 60. Has he had any horrid poos or anything like that?

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:51 pm

Yes I do rinse-wash-rinse.

He's teething so his wees have been smelling very strong, haven't had any bad poos though!

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:01 pm

Does it sound like a microfibre problem? Should I soak them in vinegar?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Bumboleo wrote:Does it sound like a microfibre problem? Should I soak them in vinegar?

It could be - were they new or preloved? Vinegar won't hurt mf so worth a try!

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:25 pm

They were new when I started using cloth nappies. I'll see how they seem after this wash as otherwise I'll have no nappies to use while I soak em!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:21 am

The switch of soap could also be the problem - you might need more detergent than with the non bio.

My wash rutine has always been:
Cold rinse
Prewash
Hot wash (70-90 degrees if there's anything but pee)
Rinse (think its cold but part of the program)

At first I used almost no detergent as I was told by clothnappy users that I should be careful with buildup but about a month in I had all sorts of smell isues and then someone said that maybe I wasn't using enough detergent :loopy:

Now I use half a scoop (the pink ones from vanish bio) put half that in the prewash and the other half in the main wash. And now I have clean nappies :thumbsup:

In Denmark we recomment washing clothnappies above 70 degrees to make sure there is no poop bacteria (they don't die until its above 67 I think it is) breastmilk poop is ok at lower degrees.

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:25 am

Oh reeeeally, that is interesting! You always hear reasons to do the opposite, ie low temps to save the elastic, lower dose of detergent to prevent build up... Will definitely try the higher temp and more detergent! That does make sense to me.

The nappies smelled much better after the second wash, so we'll see how they wear.

Thanks!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:30 am

Bumboleo wrote:Oh reeeeally, that is interesting! You always hear reasons to do the opposite, ie low temps to save the elastic, lower dose of detergent to prevent build up... Will definitely try the higher temp and more detergent! That does make sense to me.

The nappies smelled much better after the second wash, so we'll see how they wear.

Thanks!

Yes I know and it was exactly my thought as well. What I do is a lot more rinse after so I make sure there's no detergent left. The problem is that the nappies need detergent to get clean so its really about figuring out what works for your mashine and rutine. Also I wash every other day to make sure they don't sit too long

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies