hf1

Camping with a toddler and a baby

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Camping with a toddler and a baby

Postby jules070603 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:59 pm

Just wondered if anyone had been camping in a tent with toddlers or babies (or both!!!)

It looks like we'll be going camping for up to a week with Zach and the baby. Baby will be 4 months old ish.

Anyone got any tips? We need to buy a tent and everything which is no problem as we've been threatening to get one for a while now but if anyone has any good features they think we should look out for let me know. The only specification we have is that we'll be getting a one bedroom tent, I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything else.

It'll be August so nice weather (hopefully!!!!) and the only advice I've heard is that the pop up style travel cots are good for in the tent.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Camping with a toddler and a baby

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:04 pm

No idea - but good luck (I haven't been brave enough to try camping!)

At 4 months if you have a carrycot which can detach from the pram wheels I would have thought that would be a good choice instead of buying something short lived.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:07 pm

We've got a pink popup travelcot Jules which I'm sure we could lend you :)

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:11 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:We've got a pink popup travelcot Jules which I'm sure we could lend you :)

Thanks Steph, that'd be great :D Just looking at tents now.

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:17 pm

I would say get a 2 bedroom tent, use the smaller bedroom for storage and all of you sleep together in the bigger one. Also, probably standard, but a zip up mesh inner keeps bugs out. A pop up travel cot would be good, this one looks good http://www.vertbaudet.co.uk/baby-nurser ... V&source=4

We camped out a night last year in PIL field, we had a 2 bedroom tent and used the smaller bedroom to put all our bags in, filled the floor of the bigger room with air mattresses, and all cosied in together. Was lovely!

Hope you get the weather to enjoy it - are you planning on going to a serviced campsite?

Sadie xx

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:25 pm

We've been camping a couple of times when Leila was a toddler. She had a great time - loads of time outdoors running around and burning off *some* of her endless energy!

Both times we were really lucky with the weather as it was dry.

We've got a 2 bed tent which we shared with my sis, BIL and their toddler one of the times, the other time DH and I were in one bedroom, and we put Leila in her travel cot in the other bedroom. I was constantly listening out for any noises so she might as well have been in with us.

Would imagine it might be a bit harder with a baby, but I'm sure it can be done :D

Becky x

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:31 pm

eviesmummy wrote: A pop up travel cot would be good, this one looks good http://www.vertbaudet.co.uk/baby-nurser ... V&source=4

I had one like this the mattress bit is too thin!

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks guys. Thats a good point about the 2 bedrooms, this time we're going to a site where my mum and dad will be in a static caravan so we don't have to worry too much about cooking and using the services.

My mum (as usual) thinks we can all squeeze into the caravan but its only 4 berth and we just don't think it'll be practical at all so was thinking this way we can have some of our own space but also my mum can still do the cooking :hohoho:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:46 pm

I would agree with Annette, I think a carry cot would be better, and I wish you luck, I'd be terrified about Jak escaping in the night, ooo I probably shouldn't say things like that!

Next

Return to The Great Outdoors