hf1

Camping essentials?

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Camping essentials?

Postby nappynutter » Thu May 05, 2011 9:08 pm

charliesam wrote:we are going camping in the summer for the first time although i always went as a child
this is what we have got so far

tent
airbeds
pump for airbeds
stove
gas canisters for stove
camping kitchen
lamp
simple portable toilet (i can't face getting up to go to the loo in the night with the boys :oops: 0
a cold box
a folding table
a camping saucepan set

still to get
a kettle
cutlery
a mallet
I want a wardrobe- but i need to measure the car first :giggle: :giggle:

I think this is all going to fit in my car (a fiat multipla) but i will be able to take 1 back seat out to give us extra room

I would add chairs, plates, cutlery and cups, cooking utensils and a washing line. We also have a mini spice/herb/condiment set because I love cooking proper food on a campsite. I would also replace the air beds with good quality self inflating mats (much easier to set up/put away, more comfortable and more compact for travelling/storage). I've never bothered with a toilet but we have 8 people so there would be a long queue for it. :hohoho:

My avatar
Dark Star Designs
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Dark Star Designs » Thu May 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Baby wipes!
and I always take a dustpan and brush to clean out the tent before packing up so it doesn't have to be unfolded and cleaned out once home :)
a small towel for by the door and one of those bendy trug things, use it to transport stuff in but once there use it for wet boots/jackets/clothes etc

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu May 05, 2011 9:20 pm

clevercuttlefish wrote:Bug repellent and a really good sense of humour were my first thoughts :)

:giggle: last time we went camping was near where I was brought up so I knew the area and sent DH and friends out for a take away :oops: :giggle: we also made sure we were near the sand dunes and lit a wee fire in out bbq to sit round.
Wine that is another essential :wink:

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Thu May 05, 2011 9:20 pm

nappynutter wrote:
charliesam wrote:we are going camping in the summer for the first time although i always went as a child
this is what we have got so far

tent
airbeds
pump for airbeds
stove
gas canisters for stove
camping kitchen
lamp
simple portable toilet (i can't face getting up to go to the loo in the night with the boys :oops: 0
a cold box
a folding table
a camping saucepan set

still to get
a kettle
cutlery
a mallet
I want a wardrobe- but i need to measure the car first :giggle: :giggle:

I think this is all going to fit in my car (a fiat multipla) but i will be able to take 1 back seat out to give us extra room

I would add chairs, plates, cutlery and cups, cooking utensils and a washing line. We also have a mini spice/herb/condiment set because I love cooking proper food on a campsite. I would also replace the air beds with good quality self inflating mats (much easier to set up/put away, more comfortable and more compact for travelling/storage). I've never bothered with a toilet but we have 8 people so there would be a long queue for it. :hohoho:

ahh yes- my mum is in charge of plates and cups etc- she wants some emma bridgewater ones :giggle: :giggle: i am all for paper ones and save on the washing up :oops: :oops:
a washing line sounds a good idea and the table does have 4 chairs attached but we need at least one more as there will be 5 of us :-? we will be taking v little in the way of clothing :giggle: :giggle: thankgoodness sam is out of nappies- or we would have had to buy a trailer or leave someone behind :giggle:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu May 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Tin opener
Corkscrew
Wind up torches/lanterns.

We have a good, sturdy tripod stove that comes with pans (wok, grill, griddle, think it can be used as an oven even, but not tried that), which all packs down together in it's own bag. I'd have to dig it out to get the name though. It doesn't take little gas canisters, tbh, if you're cooking decent meals then they'd probably not get you far. We have a smallish gas bottle (must refill it this year!), lasts us at least 2yrs camping trips, if not 3 or more.

We take a collapsible clothes horse thingy too, invaluable for damp towels after days on the beach and showers.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:26 pm

We had a tri fold aired which folded really flat and it was great for drying towels etc

I wouldn't go without a toilet of some kind personally. we just have a 'posh bucket' type but they take up quite a bit of room in the car.

A small table for your evening wine outside ;)

those candles that repel midges, not sure if they really work but they make me feel better!

Zach was 3 when we went first time and hated his sleeping bag :( we had to go out and buy him a quilt but he slept very well with that.

Picnic blankets are good for making a 'carpet' for a bit of added warmth on feet.

A lantern torch thing that you can use like a lamp or head torches - just so you have hands free in the dark.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Oh, we found those fold up plastic water bottles next to useless and it was much better buying a very large bottle of water from the supermarket (the ones with a handle to help pour) and refilling that.

My avatar
MumOf1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby MumOf1 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:35 pm

Take a washing basin with you! Although most sites will have sinks for washing your dishes many don't have plugs. It's also very handy for carrying the dirty dishes over to get washed too.

My avatar
jospots
Clothie
Clothie

Postby jospots » Thu May 05, 2011 9:41 pm

My boys lived in wellies when we went camping last week, no croc's here!! :lookround:

PreviousNext

Return to The Great Outdoors