Hello

My avatar
Emma
Clothie
Clothie

Hello

Postby Emma » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:59 am

Hi,

I've just found this website having been totally overwhelmed by all the information on cloth nappies that is available. Our first child is due on 22 December so while there is a bit of time yet I'm trying to get together bits that we need well in advance (particularly since we will be moving home shortly after he is born and I want to cut out as much stress as possible beforehand!). I'm leaning towards tots bots bamboozles as I wanted something absorbent and relatively slim so that we can still put him in ordinary clothes without worrying about clothing with extra nappy room but I'm still totally flummoxed by boosters, wraps (what sizes should we be getting!?) and whether I should get popper/aplix... I think aplix for the first six months or so and then get poppers for the size 2s but not sure yet as I gather the velcro on the aplix wears down easily. Look forward to learning more about cloth nappies over the coming months :)

Emma

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Hello

Postby Annette » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:11 pm

Hi Emma and welcome. Congratulations on your pregnancy :D Don't worry, cloth nappies can be confusing at first but you soon get into it and then there is no stopping you :wink: Don't limit yourself to one choice of nappy - I think everyone on here will have quite a variety as they suit different situations and some are just much cuter than others! And you should try both applix and popper to see what you actually prefer, you may be surprised, perhaps even try nippas, they can be great on newborns. I have never had any trouble with the applix wearing on my nappies.

Anyway, I look forward to chatting more :D

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi & welcome.

I didn't use cloth from birth, so not enitely sure of what is or isn't good. I'm sure you'll have fun browsing for them though.

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:59 am

Hi Emma and welcome to the tree. Im Sadie, SAHM of 3 and my youngest daughter is a cloth bum since she was 12 hours old. Cloth can seem quite confusing at first, but its all very straightforward once you get going with it. Post any questions on the Cloth Nappy Chat section and we can answer and hopefully give you loads of info.

Look forward to chatting - Sadie xx

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:31 am

Hi Emma and welcome, hope you like it here, sure you will and do ask any questions!! :D

I agree that at first cloth nappying can seem very hard to understand but really it is straight forward once you get into it (ie: addicted to them!!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:32 am

Hi Emma & welcome to the tree. I'm Allie, p/t WAHM to Harriet, 22 months. Harriet has been in cloth since she was 4 days old and it is really easy. I agree that cloth nappies can seem confusing at first but it is really easy once you get the hang of it. The fun is in trying out all the different types and styles and finding out which combinations suits you, your baby and your lifestyle the best. Don't be afraid to ask any questions, even if you think it's silly, I'm sure it isn't and we've probably all asked similar questions before.

Happy nappy shopping :D

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:22 pm

Hello and welcome! I'm Nichola, mum to four-month-old Iris, who's been in cloth since 6 days old. Modern nappies do seem very confusing at first, but once you've worked out that there are really only four main types it seems a whole lot easier. :)

I did a review of our newborn nappy stash here:

viewforum.php?f=47

Cotton Tots Bots made up the majority of our stash, but I'm definitely a pocket convert these days. :lol: And while I love the feel of our Sandy's bamboo nappy, the drying time of bamboo just puts me off getting more (although the style suits Iris well). Annette gave great advice about not sticking to one type of nappy - you definitely need a mix, as some are better than others in different situations. Oh, and while I remember! If you're planning to breastfeed, poppers are definitely more booby-friendly than aplix for when you're feeding a half-naked baby! :lol:

Look forwards to chatting all things cloth. :)

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi Emma. Just wanted to say don't jump in and buy all your nappies in advance! I did that and ended up having to sell all my Bamboozles as they were totally unsuitable (not absorbant at all). I recommend that you buy a few pre-loved two parters (i.e. two nappies such as Baby Beehinds plus a wrap) and a couple of pockets (BumGenius are great), then see what suits you before you buy any more. The Nappy Times does an amazing free nappy trial service so you can try up to 5 different nappies, which I found really useful. I love my birth to potty pockets as they're not too bulky and I know I'll get lots of use out of them. I was clueless at first but quickly got the hang of cloth nappies. Beware - it's addictive! Frances

My avatar
Emma
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Emma » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:24 pm

Hello all!

Thanks for being so welcoming - I must confess to being very silly and going against everyone's advice by getting carried away in buying the bamboozles nappies so we have a complete set and I'm now crossing my fingers that they happen to work :oops: In my defence they are all second hand (apart from a very good deal on ebay where they cost the same as second hand ones) so I should be able to sell on again without too much loss and buy different types - that said I may just be grasping at straws to justify my obsession.....I can't believe quite how quickly it's taken hold!

I have lots of questions and these forums are so helpful I'm very glad that I found them - will post in the relevant sections so that I'm not clogging up the newcomers board!

Thanks against for the warm welcome and I look forward to chatting with you all over the coming months (and years!). I may not be able to repay your helpful advice in terms of nappies right now but should any of you have any IT problems and need advice my husband has offered his services!

Emma

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers