hf1

Hi from warwickshire

My avatar
feistyfairy
Clothie
Clothie

Hi from warwickshire

Postby feistyfairy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi all. :wave: im new to the boards and also new to real nappies! I have 3 boys, 13, 8 and 10 months. im using bumgenius and fuzzi bunz at the mo and think i prefer bumgenius, they are the ones you put a booster in. :-?

Cos im new to this i dont really know what im doing lol so would appreciate any help and advice! :-?

I am using dispcables at night and am happy to do that until we get established properly. I am using the nappies mentioned above and stuff them with a booster and a flushable liner too, when changed im putting in a bucket with nappysan to soak but unsure if this is right as it states not to soak the outer for more than 2 hours, so find myself faffing about taking in and out of the bucket etc, then end up with damp nappies hanging around waiting to be washed! i thought i would wash every other day or so, do i need another bucket? or bag?? i have a bag for when im out and about, and always soak when i get in as worry, friends have said they used to store dirties in a bag for days and then soak just before washing, so am i doing this all wrong?? also whats with the fleece liners? im lost!!!! :-?

thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help!

My avatar
The Tree Fairy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Hi from warwickshire

Postby The Tree Fairy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi feistyfairy. Welcome to Cloth Nappy Tree :wave:

I hope you enjoy using the site - there are plenty of areas to explore, if you can't find something or have any questions just ask, everyone is friendly and helpful :-D

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Hi from warwickshire

Postby Shaunie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Hi :wave: & welcome :D

Not much time to answer fully but you don't need napisan (it's harsh stuff). I just leave nappies in a bucket on their own or put a few drops of tea tree oil in there, no need to soak nappies in these modern times :wink: :giggle:

Fleece liners are used instead of paper ones so you can wash them with your nappies, once you have tipped or scraped the poo off!

Feel free to ask away :D

My avatar
feistyfairy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby feistyfairy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks for that, oooh so no nappisan then ok, so how about the soaking of the wrapper bit? is that ok? i dont want to ruin them you see. where does everyone get all their stuff from? i would like to try some fleece liners, need a new bucket, bag etc, but have no idea where to go lol xxx :-?

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi! :wave:

I am mum to 5 home educated children 12, 9, 7, 4, 2, three of whom have had cloth bottoms, my eldest was in terry squares and horrible plastic pants. DD 3 was in Bambino Mio which we used to soak in napisan in a bucket and found it really stinky and a pain to sort out. With last baby I decided to make my own and have found (like a lot of people on here) a real love for fitted nappies( that are not waterproof) and knitted wool covers. I was very dubious at first not cinvinced they wouldn't leak but over the last 17 months have found them to be the most reliable and gorgeous. We longer soak in buckets either but just put a bucket liner in the bucket and put all the naapies in theredry with no water and on wash day justtake the liner out and put the whole lot in the machine. A lot less messy and stinky and surprisingly the nappies don't stain!! We also use wetbags which are zipped bags that have a waterproof lining for storing dirty nappies. Ideal for out and about and lots of people use them instead of a bucket.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the nappies you mentioned although I have got a preloved BG (bumgenius) which is at the bottom of my pile as I don't really like it. I don't like boring colours and find it leaks quickly but this maybe because it is old? I don't really get on with that style of nappy. I prefer fitteds or AI2s which are basically just the waterproofcover with a booster inside.

We used disposables overnight until I brave enough to try wool and fitteds and haven't looked back since! We also had our first whole night with an AI2 that didn't leak the other night so I'm glad we have more options now.

Please ask as many questions as you need there is always someone willing to offer their experience!!

Enjoy your cloth nappy journey! :)

Lucy

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi Fiestyfairy :wave:

Welcome to the tree :cnthug:

The norm now is dry pailing, literally just dumping them in the bucket with no water until wash day. Get rid of the napisan, it's way too harsh for today's nappies.

I use bumgenius shells for the bulk of my stash. I don't use their inserts though because dd is a superwetter and they don't last 10 minutes on her. We use a double bamboo insert (petit dessous are the best) with a hemp booster (easy peasy), which may be a good option for you for night times.

My avatar
feistyfairy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby feistyfairy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:13 pm

ok so now im really confused lol, fitted nappies with woolen wraps?? Never heard of those? Also what are A12s?

Sorry im rubbish at this!

SO i dont need to presoak at all? what if they are poohey ones?? i would prob wipe off most with wipes etc but surely you dont leave those in a bucket to go dry?

there are just so many nappies that i dont really know what im talking about, i have a selcetion of bumgenius and fuzzi bunz, also have some motherease (just wraps) and a few terry tot bots (not used yet) all of which where given to me by a friend, i bought the complete set of bambino mios and then didnt use them so have those for sale!

Oh im confused lol!

Time for a :coffee:

My avatar
feistyfairy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby feistyfairy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:50 pm

Can anyone suggest another nappy i may like then? i like the bumgenius ones with the velcro because of the ease i suppose, a;so havent had any probs with them, im open to trying others tho xx

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:20 pm

I started a reply to your last post & got distracted :roll: Sorry!

Your tots bots is a fitted nappy. A fitted nappy is one that requires a wrap over it. Wraps are made of PUL which is a non breathable material. Another option is a wool wrap or soaker that has been lanolised. Wool is breathable which keeps baby from getting too hot (like in sweaty pul) & also allows moisture to evaporate so your nappy can adsorb more.

AI2 - All in 2. It is a nappy that doesn't need a wrap & has a snap in soaker so the nappy is 2 parts (all in 2 :wink: ). There is also AI1 - all in one where the soaker is part of the shell so there is no stuffing or snapping in soakers. AI1 & AI2 don't work for everyone though.

No need to pre soak the nappies. I just rinse the worst of the poop off into the toilet (my shower head reaches as far as the toilet so I use that) & then throw it into the bucket. They don't really get a chance to dry in the bucket as such & I've never had any major problems with staining or anything.
When I am washing, I put them in for a cold pre-wash first, then a 40 or 60 degree wash with a half dose of bio powder, then an extra rinse.

As for suggesting others to try, there are so so many different nappies. My advice is to stick around & do a bit of reading. It really is the quickest way to get to know the nappies. Ask any questions you like, no question is a stupid question. Have a look on classifieds, buy any you like the look of to try. You'll get to know your postman on a first name basis. At that stage, the best advice is not to leave you dh look at paypal :giggle:

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers