hf1

5th time mum, 1st time cloth nappying, totally confused!

My avatar
mangajude
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: 5th time mum, 1st time cloth nappying, totally confused!

Postby mangajude » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:45 pm

Hello :wave: , great to have you here.

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Hello :wave:

I'm expecting my first soon after Christmas, so am finding out about all this for the first time too! I found the kittykins website really easy to use - and it has questionnaires to help you work out how many nappies you should need and which types might suit. Obviously they don't sell EVERYTHING, but I found it a helpful starting point anyway.

I get the impression that part of the 'problem' is that there are so many variables, and so many types of nappy out there. So you need to think about hard or soft water, whether you have a tumble dryer or an airing cupboard (I have neither), whether you care about natural fibres or just avoiding landfill, or price, or convenience, or whether you have to consider a (potentially) clueless partner / grandparent who might do some of the changes... And that's before you take into consideration the size and shape of your baby - and how much pee and poop s/he produces and when!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:57 pm

when i first started i was totally overwhelmed, almost like there is just too much choice out there. I faffed about for aaaaaaaaggees with what to get what if i get the worng ones??? well i just did trial and error. Some worked some didn't the great thing is you can just sell on the ones that don't because everyone likes different things.

What we liked to start were

Terry squares
Little lambs
Tots bots
Bumgenious

just ask around here everyone will help you xx

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:36 pm

:wave: Welcome to the Tree! I've used cloth with both of my girls but I remember being overwhelmed with all the choice and options as well. I was terrified of spending money on something that didn't work. But, the only thing to do is jump in, really! If you don't mind preloved, you can pick up a variety of different types cheaply on the classifieds. You might be surprised by what you love/what works for you. And remember, most nappies have a resale value so if you do buy something that doesn't work, you can always sell it on. Good luck!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:50 pm

Tots Bots Teeny Fits are great for new borns :D

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:32 am

Kirstyh wrote:Tots Bots Teeny Fits are great for new borns :D

Don't tell everyone! I am working on finding some in sales / pre-loved :D

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:33 am

I have just taken delivery of 1 pl Teenyfit! I can not wait to try it on Bert! x

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi :wave: if you are wanting to try a few types of nappy i highly recommend this trial kit http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.427 ... id.2684/.f use the code btrial12 at checkout and its half price with free delivery. I ordered one recently and they had no white nappies in stock so kindly sent me lovely coloured ones for the same price :thumbsup:

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Hello :) I started my lo with nappies from birth-flip covers with stay dry inserts. They performed well but bored me. Then I bought some pockets-cheapies were rubbish-tried bumgenius v4-good but realised I hated pockets full stop. Then I moved onto fitteds (designed to soak through-so no waterproofing) with awesome wraps from gen-y, blueberry, rumparooz, dunk n fluff-ones with leg gussets work the best with bf poo I found. And then I bought some wool longies to use at night instead of using the wraps so it remained really breathable for that length of time. I would recommend buying preloved so you can try a bit of what interests you :hug: x (ps. I found that velcro tabs like to stick to and shred everything in your wash load)

Previous

Return to Welcome Newcomers