hf1

Lurker comes forward!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Lurker comes forward!

Postby Shaunie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:12 pm

I've never used cloth from birth but started mixing cloth with eco disposables when DS3 was a few weeks old. I had an emergency c-section and DH had enough to do looking after my other 2 boys!

Congrats on your pregnancy and welcome to the tree :wave:

My avatar
munkykisser
Clothie
Clothie

Postby munkykisser » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:15 pm

I used disposable from birth as I was new to cloth. I used some on my newbie quite early on though.

I don't think cloth is much more hassle than disposable but I didn't know how much work my little one was going to be so didn't want to pile more new stuff on my plate. I'd say go for it but keep your options open.

My avatar
lizhazellsmith
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lizhazellsmith » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks everyone I think I will go for it. Hard to know which nappies to choose though... I guess get a selection and then get more of what works. I'm thinking a mix of cotton and microfibre as I'm having a winter baby and line drying won't be an option, so it's tumbling or a clothes airer - so probably not bamboo? Also, I'm reasonablly tall and slim and my partner is quite short and stocky, so not really sure what shape baby we'll have! I've got some size 1 little lambs coming (pre-loved from ebay) and thinking about getting some size 0 kissaluvs or bimbles, maybe also some bumgenius? And whatever else I can pick up along the way! I'm thinking a selection of all in ones and shaped nappies. I have heard muslins are good for newborns, but how would the containment work with no elastic/gussets?!
Also any ideas on how many re-usable wipes would be enough?
Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome, what a nice place to be :thumbsup:

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:46 pm

You might get undone with aio's if you don't have a tumble drier and you've a winter baby. They take AGES to dry. So if you deffo want to try them (they are v easy + convenient) you'll have to buy a few more or you'll run out fast ;-) x

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:42 pm

Welcome to the tree :wave:

Our nappies did not fit Oscar until he was 7 weeks old, if I ahd known about the tree then, he would have been clothed form birth.

Look forward to chatting xx

My avatar
LeezMaree
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby LeezMaree » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:59 am

I used 60x60 terry squares for my first cloth bummed baby, then my last one I bought a mixture to see what fit best. BG all in one xs are good fitting, and Tots Bots Teenyfits too, I found most smalls were too big even though ds was 8lb 5oz lol. At least with terries you can fold them down however small you need them to be :D

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Hello

I'm in the same boat as you, although 'only' at 17 weeks (due 30th December). I don't think I ever really considered disposables as a full-time option, so I'm planning to take a similar approach to LeezMaree - lay in a decent number of terry squares and a decent variety of pre-loved on-sale shaped and AIOs and see what works.

The way I looked at it, back when I was born (in the 70s, help!) everyone used terry squares with nappy pins and plastic pants and seemed to cope, even if they didn't have a washing machine or tumble dryer, so it can hardly be impossible now with all the extra options out there.

If you have a look at kittykins (site selling cloth nappies) they have a couple of quizzes to help you work out what might work for you - depends a bit on water type and if you have a tumble dryer etc. You don't have to follow the suggestions, or buy from them, and of course everyone here is very helpful too, but I found it a useful starting point.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi :wave:

I came to cloth nappies late, ordered a load of fuzzis when she was about 6 months old but they were too big (mediums) and I didin't get the stuffing right, so we used cloth from about 7 months in the end. I never had a problem with disposables, we used Pampers, and I wouldn't have been able to manage cloth when she was little with the constant changes. I might have tried had I found here tho! I definitely could have used them easily from about 3 months but didn't get my act together (PND)

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi there and welcome to the tree.

I have used cloth from birth for my two. Used prefolds with the first and then onto Bumbles and used Bimbles and Sandies on number two. Now that he is older we use AIO during the day and a fitted and cover at night.

I did need to use disposables for about 2 weeks when No.2 was 3 weeks old as he got very sick and needed a change every 1/2 to 1 hour we were clothing but it was just too much. But since then very rarely goes into a disposable.

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome Newcomers