hf1

Hello, from a confused newcomer :)

My avatar
partlysbabe
Clothie
Clothie

Hello, from a confused newcomer :)

Postby partlysbabe » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:21 am

Hi my names is Sally Im here in Derbyshire in the UK, I am currently pregnant :pregnant: with my 7th child, I used cloth diapers/nappies with my last little one part time, in other words when we couldnt afford to buy diapers, I used the cloth ones, BUT, this time I actually have a washer in the house and would love to use them full time, the ones I previously used were just prefolds and a cover, I have decided that I would like to use pocket nappies/all in 2's but I have no clue which ones I keep seeing these kits for about £200 and think we that would cover it all and do the job, but I dont know which ones, most have mixed reviews, and I dont want to pay a huge amount for 20 or so nappies that Im not going to use... any advice from experienced Cloth nappy users would be much appriciated :) :witch:

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Hello, from a confused newcomer :)

Postby BingBongBoo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:41 am

:wave: Hi and welcome to the Tree! There are a huge variety of cloth nappies to choose from and I remember being really confused when I first started as well. I've used cloth on both of my girls and I've tried out dozens of different types over the years (prefolds pockets/AI2s and some fitteds). The one thing I would say is that it's really difficult to know what will suit you and your baby before Bubs is here. I generally urge caution when considering purchasing a 'Birth-to-Potty' set because babies change shape so much over that time and the amount they wee often changes a lot as well. Also, something that offers poor containment on a :bf: newborn may work brilliantly on your LO once they start solids.

Everybody will have a different opinion as well. :wink: Personally, I loved prefolds for the newborn stage - cheap, quick drying and offered great containment when teamed with a decent wrap. We moved to OS pockets/AI2s once they reached 12 lbs or so. My DD2 is 11 months now and I'm loving the fit of Bumgenius and Bubblebubs Candies on her at the moment.

The Classifieds here are a great way to pick up some preloved nappies cheaply. Alternatively, if you would prefer to buy new Fill Your Pants offers a 'Try Cloth for £10' scheme: http://www.fill-your-pants.com/cloth-na ... trial.html Babykind also offers a nappy trial scheme: http://www.babykind.co.uk/nappytrial.htm as does Peas and Love: http://www.peas-and-love.co.uk/product/ ... -for-free/

Good luck! The Tree is really friendly and we're all more than happy to answer any other questions you may have :hug: :hug:
Last edited by BingBongBoo on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:05 am

Hello and welcome @partlysbabe :wave:

I second Claire, classifieds are great, as are trials. We experimented with a few styles, but in the end our stash was made up of two types of nappies. A few nappy places, like Tots Bots, for example, allow you to buy a kit (so save some money) but pay for it a little a month so it's not a big lump sump. That's worth considering.

Good luck on your clothie journey!

My avatar
partlysbabe
Clothie
Clothie

Postby partlysbabe » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks for the advice ladies, I love the idea of the trials, but Im going to have to wait until closer to the time :) I was planning on using eco nappies for the first few days and then switch to cloth after that,.. but hey I have a starting point :)

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:56 am

See if you can have a nappy library or something nearby. At least you can have a look and see which ones you like. The problem is you can never really predict what size/shape your baby will be (although it's maybe a little easier after 6!) so you won't know which nappy will suit him/her best...

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Hello :) :wave:

Return to Welcome Newcomers