Hello. new comer and need advice

My avatar
gav1980
Clothie
Clothie

Postby gav1980 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:54 pm

hello to everyone

i have wanted to use cloth nappies since i finally found i was pregnant.
we have been trying for a long time so i am excited. (it has taken 5 yrs)
a friend is selling all her one life nappies. 20 nappies, 3 waterproof covers of each size, 100 liners and two cotton baby wipes. all for 50 pounds.

i know this is a bargin but they seem very bulky. advice pls :wave:

My avatar
The Tree Fairy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby The Tree Fairy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi gav1980. Welcome to Cloth Nappy Tree :wave:

I hope you enjoy using the site - there are plenty of areas to explore, if you can't find something or have any questions just ask, everyone is friendly and helpful :-D

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Hello. new comer and need advice

Postby littlesez » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:07 pm

The thing is with one size nappies is they are made to fit from birth to potty but realistically a nappy is never going to be perfect fit on both a newborn baby and a 2/3 year old? So you kind of have to accept that they will be bulky on a newborn then they grow into them. Thats the downside but the benefit is you dont have to buy all different sizes of nappies. If you wanted to go for that pack £50 is a good price for a full kit so you could then get a few newborn or small nappies on top if you wanted to. You can get XS nappies but they are quickly outgrown and so depends on whether you want to spend the money really. I used terry squares for newborn phase then you can later use them as boosters or nappy free time or cut them up to make wipes. :D They are a good versitile cheap option

HTH xx

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:28 am

I've never used Onelife nappies but they generally get good reviews. You can read some here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=49514&p=695089&hilit=onelife#p695089 here http://www.mumsnet.com/reviews/nursery/ ... loth-nappy and here http://www.mellowmummy.co.uk/2010/09/su ... nappy.html

littlesez wrote:The thing is with one size nappies is they are made to fit from birth to potty but realistically a nappy is never going to be perfect fit on both a newborn baby and a 2/3 year old? So you kind of have to accept that they will be bulky on a newborn then they grow into them. Thats the downside but the benefit is you dont have to buy all different sizes of nappies.

This! In my experience, people either love or hate onesize nappies. The plus side is that you only have to buy one set so they are cheaper in the long run (and £50 is reasonable for 20 nappies + extras). The downside is that they will be large and bulky on a newborn and may well need significant additional boosting for a toddler. So it depends if that is something you are comfortable with?

If you're after something that will fit snugly on a newborn, you can always buy xs nappies for the newborn stage and then move on to the Onelife nappies when they are 10 lbs or so. Check out the Classifieds if this interests you as there are many bargains to be had there. If you go this route, you can make some of your money back by selling them on when you've finished. Or as littlesez says, you could use small prefolds or terries when your LO is tiny. These are inexpensive, dry quickly and can be used as nappy boosters later on when your baby begins to wet more heavily.

Good luck and welcome to The Tree!

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Hello and welcome to the CNT! :wave:

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:27 pm

Hello, welcome to the tree! :cnthug: One life nappies are good workhorse nappies, £50 is a good price. But, as little sez said,I'd use some small terries or just some muslins with the small wraps, which will be less bulky on a newborn, then move onto the onelife after about 6 weeks (thats when my lo started fitting Motherease onesize, which are very similar to onelife). Have fun looking around the tree, theres no such thing as a daft question, so don't be afraid to ask anything! :widesmile:

My avatar
Madmum
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Madmum » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:37 pm

:wave: Hi,
Nappy wise, can't add anything but wanted to say congratulations on your :pregnant:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:37 am

Madmum wrote::wave: Hi,
Nappy wise, can't add anything but wanted to say congratulations on your :pregnant:

This! And welcome to the tree :D :wave:

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:31 pm

:wave: :wave: and welcome to the tree. xx

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers