Newbie to reusable nappies

My avatar
ChocolateLover
Clothie
Clothie

Newbie to reusable nappies

Postby ChocolateLover » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Julie and I have a 8 week old daughter. As this is my first child I wanted to adapt to motherhood first and just used disposable nappies until now, but would love to get some reusable ones. My daughter is quite slim, most nappies seem too big on her and always leak (except for Pampers newborn size). I've done a little research online and think I might give BumGenius V4 a try. Any advice is highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Julie

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Newbie to reusable nappies

Postby BingBongBoo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:42 pm

:wave: Welcome to the Tree! I'm sure you'll love it here! And congratulations on your new baby. :D

I have a few BGs in my stash and I find them great workhorse nappies. They are quite a bit bigger than the V3 though and, as my DD2 was quite slow to gain weight, didn't fit her well until she was around 3 months. But they're great now! So you could buy a couple and see how you get on with them.

The best advice someone gave me when starting out in reusables is to try out several makes/types before you commit to buying anything in large numbers. You might be surprised by what you love/works for you! If you don't mind preloved (used :wink: ), check out the Classifieds . There are lots of bargains to be had there. Or if you'd prefer new, Fill your Pants do a 'Try Cloth for £10' promotion which I've heard good things about: http://www.fill-your-pants.com/cloth-na ... trial.html One of the great things about cloth nappies is that they have a resale value so even if you buy something that doesn't suit you, you can make some of your money back by selling it on.

Good luck!

My avatar
ChocolateLover
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ChocolateLover » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi Stormflower,
Thanks for your reply and advice. I think you're right I will buy a few preloved ones and see how we're getting on with them. I thought V4 is just a newer model, do they differ in size as well? Good to know V3 is a bit smaller, I think we will start with them then.

Thanks a million xx

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:23 pm

:wink: The V4 is the newer model yes. They made some adjustments to the fit and I think it's quite a bit roomier. My LO now wears my V3s on the largest snap setting but she's still on the middle row in the V4s. Every baby is different though! Some people use them with great results on very young babies, others find that they need to wait a couple of months (or 3 in our case :wink: ) before they get a good fit.

Good luck!

My avatar
ChocolateLover
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ChocolateLover » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 pm

That's good to know, thank you very much! I'll see what I can find in the classifieds :thumbsup:

My avatar
thenappywrapstore
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby thenappywrapstore » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:28 pm

congrats on your little one :) the best advice has been given, try a few out first. the pop n gro pockets are quite slim fitting and come in two sizes.. as are the GroVia which is an AIO, and one size with adjustability snaps to make it smaller. theres a link in my siggy (at the bottom) if wanting to take a look.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Congratulations and welcome! We are still struggling to get a good fit with bum genius 3 or 4 on my 6.5 month old. They didn't fit our first well until 5 months ish and they had no chance of containing explosive breastfed poo so we tend to use fitted nappies and wraps until poos are more solid. In my experience most birth to potty nappies are too big for the first couple of months. I would try several different ones before getting too many of 1 type.

Return to Welcome Newcomers