New to cloth

My avatar
liseyloo
Clothie
Clothie

New to cloth

Postby liseyloo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi all :wave:

I'm Lise and I'm hoping to swap to cloth for my cheeky Mr Pickle Pants. He's 18 months and is a HEAVY wetter so we're probably adding lots and lots to landfill :cry: I've been researching cloth nappies and must admit I'm a tad confused!

If anyone has any advice for a heavy wetter (he's not a big 18 month old) that would be fab. I'm leaning towards trying bamboozle stretch at night time not sure about day time. I have a drier so getting things dry isn't an issue. Cash and reluctant hubby are small issues though :lol:

Thanks!

Lise x

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: New to cloth

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi Lise and welcome to the Tree :cnthug:

Even just using one reusable nappy a day is an excellent way of starting out, and will still make a difference to landfill (even more so when you go cloth full time)

For heavy wetters you need to focus on the absorbant materials of the nappy, so think about bamboo, hemp and zorb. Microfibres absorb quickly, but don't hold anywhere near as much liquid and you can get compression leaking.

I think the tots bots bamboozle stretches come with a small booster. You might also need more boosting between the nappy and the wrap to get through the night.

Otherwise at this age, I'd suggest using a dedicated night nappy, such as the Holden's Landing Bedbugs (HLBB) or Weenotions night nappy (WNNN).

Other people will be able to tell you how wool or fleece covers might be able to help at night but I don't have any experience of those.

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:32 pm

:wave: hi-yes ,lots to be confused about but it's like anything-people have their preferences ;-)

For a heavy wetter I'd second bamboo or hemp-esp as you have a drier. Why not try some out second hand and then splurge on what works for you? I got on well with wee notions, holdens landing, itti bitti but not so much with bumgenius. What about tots bots easy fits with extra hemp boosters perhaps? X

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:53 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave: Hi and welcome! I'd agree with Kate that you'd probably be best doing a dedicated night nappy. A bamboozle would work for me at a push for nights as long as I boosted them lots (with hemp / bamboo boosters) although I did prefer my Bumble, Baby Beehinds Bamboo etc as night nappies. They would be a great day nappy though :). Wool is amazing, have a look through the forum for lots of info on this.

As already suggested try some bits second hand - the classifieds has lots of preloved stuff!

Good luck and keep asking any questions you have :widesmile:

My avatar
liseyloo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby liseyloo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:54 am

Thanks so much for your replies :thumbsup:

There's lots if ideas there for me to start looking at. I actually put him in cloth last night for the first time ever and he chose last night to have severe diarrhoea :( On a plus note, the nappy held which was really impressive!

I quite like the idea of using wool as I'm a keen knitter and I love crochet . I'm getting excited now! :giggle:

Once again, thanks!!

Lise x

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:04 am

Sorry to hear that you had a bad night Lise, I hope that your little one is feeling a bit better today.

(I used to be amazed at how 'bombproof' my tots bots fitted nappies were!)

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:32 pm

:wave:

Hi and welcome! I agree with the advice above re nappies.
I use both fleece and wool overnight with my 14 month old. The lanolised wool is my favourite as it lasts longer between washes, while out fleece soakers need a wash after 2 or 3 nights. Because they work by allowing some wetness to evaporate overnight the night nappies I use don't need boosting but if I used a wrap over them they would.
If you can knit already longies are easy to do - just make sure the yarn you have has a high wool content and isn't super wash. My favourite for longies and shorties is BFL Aran.
For a cheaper option I have used Cascade 220 but the finished item is a bit thinner than I like as it's really worsted weight yarn.

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:52 pm

Welcome I would suggest trying a few different brands then find one that you like. We have just gone over to the wool side I love it.

Return to Welcome Newcomers