Hi! Total cloth newbie.

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Hi! Total cloth newbie.

Postby PixieFix » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:25 pm

Hello,

I'm expecting my first in November and am determined to jump in at the deep end and use cloth from the start. Am planning on using mostly muslins and terrys with wraps at the beginning, but also am going to try a few different fitteds. I'm hoping to use the newborn stage to try out a few different things to see what works for us (if you have any suggestions or advise I'm all ears!). I've just started building my stash and have got a size 1 little lamb cotton and wrap and 2 xs motherease sandys (they are so small and cute!). Still 4 months to go until I actually have a baby but I'm already a total cloth addict and I've had to restrict myself to going on CNT just once a day :giggle:

My avatar
The Tree Fairy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Hi! Total cloth newbie.

Postby The Tree Fairy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:50 pm

Hi PixieFix. Welcome to Cloth Nappy Tree :wave:

I hope you enjoy using the site - there are plenty of areas to explore, if you can't find something or have any questions just ask, everyone is friendly and helpful :-D

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Hi! Total cloth newbie.

Postby clothmama » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:20 am

:wave: :wave: :wave: Hi and welcome @PixieFix massive congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm just a couple of weeks behind you :pregnant: and looking forward to meeting my 3rd little boy!
PixieFix wrote:I'm hoping to use the newborn stage to try out a few different things to see what works for us (if you have any suggestions or advise I'm all ears!). I've just started building my stash and have got a size 1 little lamb cotton and wrap and 2 xs motherease sandys (they are so small and cute!).

Sounds like a prefect plan to me and what I always recommend to do! I used cloth from the start with Louis, and exactly like you decided to use the first size to work out what I did and didn't like. I had quite a few NB Kissaluvs, Bimbles (these are mega cute but don't last long), Diddy Diapers which are still small but lasted longer and lots of other random bits and pieces with some pockets and AIOs as well. I stuck to Mother Ease wraps, using both Rikki and Airflow as I'd heard that they were bomb proof! I actually got on really well with most things and loved that I'd tried lots of things! I did try a Tots Bots red fleece wrap in the early days without much luck which was a shame as it turned me off trying wool for ages which it turned out I loved!

So this time I'm doing only a few things differently, I'm making some NB nappies as I now :sewing: and I'm now in Australia and NB nappies are crazy expensive! I am also going to have some flats (terry squares and some small prefolds) as I had discounted them last time and ended up getting some Bright Bots terrys in the autumn for drying reasons and found them great as part of my collection. I would like to pick up a Tots Bot Tinyfit to try and a few other bits and pieces that weren't around when Louis was small. I'll be mainly using fitteds with PUL wraps and wool covers as well as a 2 part system works so well with little ones.

If you have any questions fire away!
PixieFix wrote:I'm already a total cloth addict and I've had to restrict myself to going on CNT just once a day :giggle:
NO you dont' need to do that :hohoho: :hohoho:

Here is my list so far (eek need to get more!) to give you an idea!
Nappies:
10-15 terry squares / prefolds (not sure exactly how many are up there)
1 Bimble (the same I brought Louis home from hospital in :love: )
4 (? see how I go) home-made NB
5 (? need to go up and check!)) randoms from my friend
1 NB Coolababy pocket (waiting)
Wraps / covers:
Mother Ease XS Rikki Wrap
Small tie dye Nature Babies wrap
2 or 3 wool covers (would like to make another as the ones I have a preloved)

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:23 am

Hi! Welcome. Our legend clothmamas given great advice. I didn't have much luck with nb nappies as my boys were 9.6 and 10lb so grew out of them really quickly! Im loving little lamb sized pockets at tge moment. Great for heavy wetting and pretty good on the drying front. They are on offer at babame at the moment!

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:17 am

Hi welcome don't restrict yourself it's fine. I wished I had stumbled on here when I was pregnant. Ask all the questions you need too. The sun is your new best friend. You will want to Prewash your nappies it's also good to know how long they take to dry. Are you doing cloth wipes too? I find they are so much easier and do a better job.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:43 pm

Welcome to the tree, my 3 are all out of nappies now but I still get my fix by coming on here. I actually was really dissapointed when Lola potty trained and I'm now trying to sell the last of my stuff.

there's no point in trying to only come on once a day... its pointless the tree will keep dragging you back :giggle:

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby PixieFix » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:42 am

Thanks for all the advice! Very helpful, and interesting to see what other people go for. I was thinking about doing the washable wipes, but I'm not sure how to wash them. Do I have to rinse them before they go in the washing machine?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:54 am

PixieFix wrote:Thanks for all the advice! Very helpful, and interesting to see what other people go for. I was thinking about doing the washable wipes, but I'm not sure how to wash them. Do I have to rinse them before they go in the washing machine?
you are welcome I hope it helps :) I used to use toilet paper for the worst messes (and just put it in the toilet) and then I didn't rinse the wipes, just straight in the bucket with the nappies - so easy. I have a recipe somewhere for the homemade wipe mix I used which was lovely!

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby PixieFix » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks, that clears that up. I like the toilet paper idea, now you say it seems strange I didn't think of it! And if you find that recipe I'd love to know what you put in :D

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers