hf1

Preparing to cloth nappy!

My avatar
MamaSyers
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MamaSyers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here! I'm 31 weeks pregnant(time is flying!) due on the 7th Nov. I'm really keen to use cloth nappies and have spent the last couple of months researching, I took advantage of the little lambs sale and got some size 1 bamboo nappies with the wraps (this was before I realised there were so many other cloth nappies so feel I may have gone overboard before actually trying them on a baby, I think I have 16!!!) does anyone else use these? I also got a couple of size 1 pocket nappies from LL. Reading through different sites and forums I see a lot of people raving about the bamboozle nappies, are these everyone's faves? I got a bargain at a carboot sale last week, a lovely brand new minky dotty bots nappy and wet bag, I think it is one size, id never heard of these but love the feel of the nappy so hope it is good too! I've also got the starter pack of cheeky wipes which look fab. So what's everyone's go to nappy, especially interested in favourites for newborns? Sorry for this essay, and nice to meet you all :) xxx

My avatar
The Tree Fairy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby The Tree Fairy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi MamaSyers. Welcome to Cloth Nappy Tree :wave:

I hope you enjoy using the site - there are plenty of areas to explore, if you can't find something or have any questions just ask, everyone is friendly and helpful :-D

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Preparing to cloth nappy!

Postby ems101 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:48 pm

I loved both of the little lamb nappies you have. They are very good value, and popular nappies. An excellent starting point. Try them and see what you like and what suits the size and shape of your baby. Then you can buy more, try something similar (bamboozles are similar to the Fluffy lambs you already have) or sell them on.

And of course we'll be here to answer all your questions!

My avatar
MamaSyers
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MamaSyers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:51 pm

ems101 wrote:I loved both of the little lamb nappies you have. They are very good value, and popular nappies. An excellent starting point. Try them and see what you like and what suits the size and shape of your baby. Then you can buy more, try something similar (bamboozles are similar to the Fluffy lambs you already have) or sell them on.

And of course we'll be here to answer all your questions!

Ah that's great, that's good to know that you loved the little lambs nappies, I'm excited to try them when baby gets here :) x

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi @mamasyers and welcome to the tree! Ask away we are all very friendly ;)

I m not really up to date with what's on the market as my youngest is 4 eek! I used some little lambs on my youngest and liked them.

I think most of us seasoned cloth users would say to buy a variety of different types and try them out. You'll then be able to work out what you like and what suits baby. Also I found I liked different types of nappies for different situations. Eg when at home all day vs a trip for weigh in at clinic.

Another consideration would be your washing and drying. Bamboo will take longer to dry and babies can go through a few an hour on a bad day :giggle: so some quicker drying materials can be a help, especially in Nov.

I m a fan of some good ole terries or prefolds. I ve tried both and would say pick one and go for one type as the covers suitable for each are different. They are cheap (comparatively) and easy to grab and dry. I find you don't mind if they poo in them :hohoho: . If you're lucky you can pick them up second hand cheaply or free!

Good luck!

My avatar
MamaSyers
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MamaSyers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Thanks @confusinglady, that's really helpful! I have heard that the bamboo nappies can take a really long time to dry so will get some others to go alongside them. I was looking into the prefolds this morning, would you say there's a huge difference between these and terries? I wonder which would be better with the little lamb wraps, I will have to keep researching! Did you just use the little snappy things that I keep seeing to secure these? I presume they are safer than a pin. Thanks again :) x

My avatar
MamaSyers
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MamaSyers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Oh I think I mean nappi nippas, not snappys! :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:32 am

The Little Lamb Bamboo nappies are great - I had a few in size one and 2 so don't worry you'll get your use of them but yes totally agree with the others and add some different options to your collection. I literally had a bit of everything and that is how I love to do it - as Nicola said you end up using different ones for different times and also babies come in different shapes / change shape so it is great having a variety as what fits brilliantly one week can be gappy the week later and then fabulous the fortnight later again!

This is what I had for my youngest when I was very similarly pregnant to what you are now!:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=120003

I think I may have added a few and ended up getting some very thin, small terries from work (I am a midwife and the hospital where I was used cloth as their first nappy and they could keep using them if they wanted to :widesmile: ) as Remy was so tiny (born 2.8 kg and went down to 2.5kg) they were all I could get to fit and still see him

MamaSyers wrote:would you say there's a huge difference between these and terries? I wonder which would be better with the little lamb wraps, I will have to keep researching!
!

I think prefolds are probably easier to get a good fit with and they are a bit more absorbant but I do like terries as well and I was using the Brights Bots terries you see in the pic as handtowels when I fell pregnant with Remy (wasn't really expecting another :giggle: ).

MamaSyers wrote:Did you just use the little snappy things that I keep seeing to secure these? I presume they are safer than a pin. Thanks again :) x
Yes they are fab (just don't leave them on the floor they really hurt when you walk on them :loopy: :zombiearr:
MamaSyers wrote:Oh I think I mean nappi nippas, not snappys! :)

They are one and the same @MamaSyers - UK / europe they are nappi nippas and Australia (and possibly other countries too) they are sold as Snappys!

My avatar
MamaSyers
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MamaSyers » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks @clothmama that's all so helpful and I will have a look today at the prefolds etc! So glad I found this lovely place to come and chat nappies, I was finding it all a bit of a mine field! Also wow I love that you're a midwife and that some hospitals use cloth as a first nappy, I wish more hospitals were the same xx

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers