Newbie to forums

My avatar
skaheadpunk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Great help

Postby skaheadpunk » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:01 pm

4timeslucky wrote:Hi
Thanks for some great replies :D , especially the tips on hemp, mf & bamboo. I fancy making some inserts to start, where is a good place to buy the hemp? presumably on-line somewhere? Also looking at forum found out about always having a layer on top of microfibre which I didnt know.
Gisele, I haven't ever done much sewing - just like the idea - at the moment I have a machine but buried on our dining room table with lots of stuff/crap! :cry:
And yes, I already had the feeling I'd better watch my credit card as always looking at different ones even when I have plenty! :evil:

I do have a few other questions, where should I post them? here or general nappy chat?

Thanks
Kath

Babeco sell hemp and other nappy fabrics - babeco.co.uk/BuyFabrics.html

If it's about nappies I'd say for the the nappy chat, or if it's just general stuff, general stuff. Where ever it fits best really.

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:07 pm

Thanks, I think most of my questions are to do with washing the nappies - for the moment anyway!

My avatar
skaheadpunk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby skaheadpunk » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:55 pm

4timeslucky wrote:Thanks, I think most of my questions are to do with washing the nappies - for the moment anyway!

Anything I can help with, or have you posted in the washing forum?

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:27 pm

Thanks Em
Just tooked at the washing forum, missed that one! so will post there save you having to answer them all yourself
Kath

My avatar
skaheadpunk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby skaheadpunk » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:35 pm

4timeslucky wrote:I read somewhere - on here? about the great idea of adding a few drops of essential oils/lavender in the conditioner drawer. Do you know if you can add it the same time as white vinegar as we have very hard water here?

I shove it all in together, which works for me!
4timeslucky wrote:Do you use a nappy net in your bucket - if so do you put the whole thing in the wash and find they make their way out while washing or empty them into the machine?

I don't use one - I don't see the point because I dry-pail, so it's not like they're wet or anything, I just empty the bucket into the machine.
4timeslucky wrote:Do people tend to do a cold rinse first as read in a few places? I havent as yet but looking at our machine realised can only do prewash at same temp as wash (mostly 60 with those b/fed nappies) not separate rinse maybe I could use the refresh short 30min 30 degree wash? Is it worth it?

Does your machine have a dial that you turn? Mine has, so I just turn it to the rinse part, not any of the letters if you see what I mean, then when it's done I put it on a normal wash. I find my prewash isn't enough really, and the cold rinse helps to get any smells or stains out before they are 'set' in by the hot water.
4timeslucky wrote:Also wondering if anybody has tried asda's version of vanish? cheaper and I got through loads of vanish (not v env friendly & expensive) in the first few weeks - she had b/fed dirty nappies all the time but calmed down now though!

Never tried it, but I don't use any stain remover at all - all of Ruby's nappies are fleece lined, and the rinse in the machine and a 60 degree wash gets it all out. My inserts are always a bit stained, but s good blast of sunshine sorts that out. If things are bad I'll use a bio washing liquid - also good for hard water (or so I have heard), just make sure it's all rinsed out well. Again, not great for the environment though.
4timeslucky wrote:Lastly do you need to use powder when you wash new nappies to get the absorbency before using? Now I could put mine in with others I already have or clothes washing but its just something I've always wondered

I'm not entirely sure - I just shove them through with my next few washes, especially when it's hemp and needs lots of washes, and it certainly hasn't done any harm. I do find that using a liquid detergent rather than a powder has really helped to prevent build-up in my nappies.

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:14 am

Thanks Em
Another question - I'm new to forums - how do you do a reply like yours - ie each question in the white box? I've noticed this on a few posts. Thanks for all your answers
Kath

My avatar
skaheadpunk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby skaheadpunk » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:19 am

Bit complicated.

If you press the quote button on the top right of the box of somebody's message, it will add it to the 'reply' box in the quote tags, so it will come out in a white box. I then had to close ([/quote] and open ([quote])the tags again around my answers so they weren't quotes.

Sorry, that didn't make much sense! Quote somebody, and use the preview button on the reply page to have a fiddle with it and you might get me!

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

quotes

Postby 4timeslucky » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:23 am

skaheadpunk wrote:Bit complicated.

If you press the quote button on the top right of the box of somebody's message, it will add it to the 'reply' box in the quote tags, so it will come out in a white box. I then had to close (
and open (
)the tags again around my answers so they weren't quotes.

Sorry, that didn't make much sense! Quote somebody, and use the preview button on the reply page to have a fiddle with it and you might get me!

Thanks Em
I get you but will have a play another day. Gotta go to bed now - last night my baby slept well but my toddler woke up!! :lol:
Kath

My avatar
skaheadpunk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby skaheadpunk » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:25 am

Yup, mine like to take it in turns during the night! And I keep waking up with my 3 year old in the bed with me and Ruby! Poor Ruby, she keeps getting squashed!

Previous

Return to Welcome Newcomers