Hi all!

My avatar
MelnJJ
Clothie
Clothie

Hi all!

Postby MelnJJ » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:25 am

Morning!

My name's Mel, I'm 30 (ish...) and mum to Samuel who's 8 months old.

I'm new to cloth but very excited at trying out various pockets at the mo. While I was pregnant I was determined to use cloth and when Sam was born I tried a 2 part system that I got vastly reduced from the council where I was living at the time and it was unfortunately a miserable failure - they soaked through to his clothes in less than 2 hours each time I tried them so I gave up feeling very disheartened.

But the cloth desire never truly went away so I read up on it some more and thought I'd try pockets (can stuff them thicker and they dry quick, sounds like a good plan) so am currently looking around for bargains to try along with cheap methods of stuffing them (some of the inserts seem very expensive!).

Well I am rabbitting on so will shut up now hehe :D

Looking forward to sharing in the cloth addiction!

Mel
x

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:30 am

Hello there Mel.
I'm Rae, and have Kayleigh (almost 1) in cloth. We were lucky and got on with our first set of nappies really well. Congratulations on deciding to give cloth another go.
As for cheap methods of stuffing pockets - second hand inserts and microfibre cloths form your local supermarket.
Look forward to talking more about cloth with you.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:31 am

Hi Mel, welcome to the board. I am Annette (also 30 ish!), mum to Charlotte who is 18 months old and a new little cloth bum on the way.

If you are after cute pockets then take a look at pocket-tots.com they are great and they have so many different fabrics.

For inserts / boosters, I like the hemp ones from easy peasy which are only £2 each.

Look forward to chatting more soon.

My avatar
caeganol
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby caeganol » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:35 am

Hello Mel,

I am sukhi 39yrs and have used cloth for the first time and guess what I am lovin' it.
Glad you choose cloth after having had bad experiencs.
I have been using pocket nappies for the last 2-3 weeks and I love them.
Tesco do set of 3 microfibe cloth for 99p not very long though, but you can certainly try local supermarkets.
The ones I have used are bumgenius, wonderoo's and bluenerry, if you want to know about this, let me know.

I have also bought microfibre cloth from babeco and intent to make my own inserts.
xxx
sukhiu

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:12 am

Hi Mel and a big welcome (now that you finally got on!!)! Good on you for giving cloth another go, its a great age to make the transition too as most nappies (even pockets) shoudl do you from now to potty training!

I'm currently changing over to pockets full time in the day as they are so much easier. Still use my reliable 2 part pockets (ie a nappy that you can boost) and wool wraps for night.

I made about 8 hemp boosters (hemp is fantastic - both slim and very absorbent) with some hemp I bought from babeco - cost me £8 compared to the £4.50 I spent on the original insert I based them on!

Ask as many questions as you wnat and have a good look through our reviews and photo section to get an idea what we all get on with!

Look forward to chatting!

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:53 am

hello! nice to meet you,
Shevi

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:04 am

Hi Mel

I'm Beck mum to Hannah 4 and Phebie 14 months and a little boy on the way in December.

I've started making my own inserts from material (hemp or microfibre)
I've got for a bargain from Ebay.

Look forward to chatting more soon :)

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:35 pm

Hi Mel,

I'm Katie, Mum to Lachlan who is almost 2 and Zachary who is 5 months. They both wear cloth full time.

Pockets are great. Shame you didn't get on with your two parts. We find them more reliable than pockets especially overnight and for going out.

Look forward to chatting with you more.

My avatar
MelnJJ
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MelnJJ » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:53 pm

Thank you for such a lovely warm welcome!

And thank you for the tips, some good advice there already, I especially like the sound of the microfibre cloths, is one on it's own enough or do you use a couple at a time or boost them up with something else? Either way, I think we'll be taking a trip to Tesco this evening!! :D

I saw the fabric on babeco the other day and have been pondering that, but the thought of making my own is a bit scary, plus there are so many different types of fabric I didn't know which to get. Figured it might be better to find some cheap second hand inserts of varying fabrics to find out which works best for Sam before I go ahead and buy a big batch of something that's not suitable.

Thanks again :)

Mel
x

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers