Hiya, I'm Nicola

My avatar
litlestar
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Hiya, I'm Nicola

Postby litlestar » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:00 pm

Hiya ladies, :idea:
I'm Nicola, i'm 29 and expecting our first Little one in November. (currently 6 months pregnant :pregnant: )
i'm really interested in cloth Nappies for a number or reasons.

i first looked into them to save money as currently i'm in a well paying job and maternity pay is literally going to break us. but since looking into them i'm hooked and i haven't even used any yet!!

i'm really interested in the one size nappies like motherease, bumgenius, totsbots etc but i'm so torn as to which route to take.

one of my concerns are ease of use, my hubby is all for going cloth but i don't want him or any family members put off from helping out if they're worried about the nappy. another reason for looking at a mixture of AIO and two part nappies.

my thoughts were to have AIO or pockets for nightime use being a tad more bulky and the motherease for use during the day. then i have the choice of wraps are Rikki best or airflow? i'm drawn to airflow but i would appreciate advice from seasoned cloth users.

i'm also keeping my eye out on the classifieds and ebay for some bargains. such as coolababy/Rainbow BB which i'm tempted to buy a few of to try out.
i have been in touch with advisor's on both nappylady and lollipop but they both seem to be trying to divert my intuition and my feelings towards the nappies i like. ie to sized nappies.

any advice would be much appreciated!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Hiya, I'm Nicola

Postby Annette » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi, welcome and congratulations on your pregnancy. It is downhill from now - you will be well and truly hooked once you get to try them out.

In actual fact, pockets and aios tend to be less bulky than fitteds, especially onesize fitteds like motherease. So you will probably find the reverse - I use only pockets in the daytime but a mixture of pockets and fitteds at night, Minki pockets or fitteds with wool covers.

I personally prefered Rikki wraps on both of mine when they were born but as Charlotte got older I found I liked the airflow better (haven't used them on Ben) so the only way to find out which you prefer is to have one of each and give them a go!

Good luck and enjoy nappy shopping until your lo arrives

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Hello and welcome to the tree! :cnthug: Congratulations on your pregnancy. :)

There are a few things that you might want to consider. Firstly, while one size (OS) nappies seem a good investment (and can be!) they're often not very good at the extremes - newborns or much older babies. They can be bulky at first and not big enough at the end. Sized nappies don't have that problem, as they're designed for a narrower range. Our BumGenius nappies became fairly useless once Iris had learned how to undo aplix (at about 7 months). :giggle:

Personally, I like to have a mix of different brands of nappy (most of ours are WAHM (work at home mum) made nappies). I haven't found one nappy that's perfect for every situation. It depends how long your baby is going to be wearing it (you'll want something more absorbent overnight than during the day), how old they are, how heavily they wet, who's doing the nappy changes, whether your baby can undo aplix or not! And there's also your washing/drying facilities to think about. That said, family members tend to get the same nappies given to them when Iris is with them. Then they know what they're dealing with. DH has his favourites, but has learned to tell the difference between fitteds and pockets now and what requires a wrap and what doesn't. :giggle:

We use fitteds and wool at night. It's a much more breathable combination than a pocket/AIO which has the PUL layer. And when Iris was tiny, I would never have got the amount of stuffing we'd have needed to last overnight into a pocket. There would have been dreadful leg gape and leaks. We also can't use AIOs - not absorbent enough for my heavy wetter. Can't help on the wrap front, I'm afraid, as I've never used ME. But I'd shy away from aplix. I use wool soakers with fitteds, rather then PUL wraps.

I'd recommend trying a mixture of different nappies and not deciding on one brand. Different things suit different babies. Half the fun of cloth is trying out all the different ones. :mrgreen:

I'm not sure if that's helpful or not. :-? I hope I've not just confused you more. :giggle:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:03 pm

Welome and congrats!! :mrgreen:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby sim » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Congratulations and welcome :idea:

When I was buying nappies for my LO I bought a mix of Tots bots fitted with ME airflows and Bumgenius V3. With the benefit of hindsight I wish I bought a few other types to try as well. He is now on the border between small and medium sizes so as he moves into mediums I'm planning to buy a few other types to try. I'm finding the Tots Bots fitteds better at the moment, but he is a mega heavy wetter and I'm experimenting with various inserts in the BGs to see if I can make them work for us (I seem to have cracked it, though I don't want to speak too soon...)

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby emmajayne33 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:26 pm

:idea: Welcome and Congrats!!!!!

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Hi and congrats on the pregnancy, look forward to seeing you around.
:idea:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Welcome to the tree and congratulations on the preganncy, I hope you have fun finding out about the cloth nappies.

Kate x

My avatar
litlestar
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby litlestar » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks Ladies,
If you've been reading around then you will know i've already started my Stash of Size 1's and BTP

Just eagerly awaiting some fluffy post now. :hohoho:

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers