New and confused!

My avatar
babygrowbelly
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

New and confused!

Postby babygrowbelly » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:19 pm

Hello everyone!!

My lo is 8 months this week and I have made the decision (a little late) to use cloth nappies after endless disappointment in disposables.

I saw the wee notions site and am now really wanting to use them as they look lovely :giggle: but I have no idea where to start!! Am I being really thick? I just have no idea which ones I should be getting :-?

My little man sleeps 13 hours and although I love this, does this make a difference in what I buy as he seems to wee a lot :roll: .

Please please help, and dont worry about talking simply to me as I really have no idea what I need and which would be the best 'type'.

Hope someone can make it all simple for me!!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: New and confused!

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:36 pm

:idea: hi and welcome to the tree.
You will get heaps of good advice from here, every one has helped me every step of the way and beyond.
As far as Weenotions go it depends whether you want to use pocket nappies which don't require a wrap but will need "stuffing!" or fitted nappies that do require a wrap! I use a combination of both and for nights we use fitted night nappies with either a wool soaker or longies or fleece soaker or longies
Weenotion night nappies (WNNN) are great, I have one on loan with a minkee outer and it is fantastic.
Check out the classifieds on here for nappies, it is a good idea to buy pre-loved so you can try out different types without making expensive mistakes. Hope I have been a teeny bit of help to you.

Don't worry about asking questions, if you think it is a stupid question, don't worry I will have probably already asked it myself :giggle:

Kirsty xx

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:01 pm

Welcome to the tree :idea:

Kirsty's given good advice; I'd recommend trying one pocket (I prefer one-size - which lasts from birth to potty - but lots of people prefer sized) and one fitted, with a wool or fleece wrap.

There are lots of night nappies to choose from; you can't go wrong with Weenotions Night Notions, again they work best with a fleece or wool wrap as that will allow some of the moisture to evaporate so the nappy lasts longer. Ours easily last my DD 13 hours overnight.

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:09 pm

As Kirsty said its proberly best to buy a preloved version of the nappy you like the look of to see if it works for you.

There are a few different types to choose from and many different makes too.
Have a look here - http://www.clothnappytree.com/infos.php loads of info to get you started.

Are you looking for a nappy that you need to use a wrap with or a pocket that has a waterproof outer you stuff the inside with the absorbant inserts. You can also get an all in one (AIO) and All in 2 (AI2) you also have a choice of different nappy wraps/cover available.

Have a read up on the nappy you like you will find reviews here - viewforum.php?f=55

We all have/had those questions we feel daft about asking. Don't be worried about asking anything. These are a lovely bunch of ladies on here and you will always get an answer.

Welcome to CNT and to your soon to be new addiction :giggle:

Marvelous that you decided to change to cloth.

:cnthug:

Oh, P.S check to see if your council offers vouchers to buy cloth nappies :wink:

Edited - crossed posts with Frances, I agree WNNN are great.

This should help too - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13947

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Everybody is very helpful here so just asked anything. I think best thing is to try different nappies to see what works best for you.
Pre loved is smart to try cheap, you can always buy new later on when you know they work.
Oh and welcome!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:07 pm

:idea: welcome to the tree!!

I too love WNNN and we use those exclusivly with wool at night time and they last my son really really well (i have minkee outters and they are still pretty much dry in the morning!).

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:26 pm

:idea:

Don't feel bad about not using cloth till 8 months as Max was 10 months before I successfully used cloth on him :wink:

Can't comment on WN as I'm yet to try them myself (wil def be doing this in the new year) but I can highly recommend BumGenius BTP pockets. I've found these to be really easy to use, absorbant and very reliable. I also love my itti AIOs. These are sized and so more expensive but they are so cute and strokeable.

Have fun choosing :giggle:

My avatar
babygrowbelly
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby babygrowbelly » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:10 pm

I would like to be able to blame this on baby brain but I don't think I can..... I just don't understand nappies :oops:

I know I can get all these different types and I know you say it depends what you want to use..... but how do I know what I want to use?!! Wraps? Stuffing?? I just want to get started and at this rate he will be potty trained before I sort it out :giggle:

I keep looking at the wee notion site as I love the designs but I still have no idea what I should be going for! Have pity on me as I am generally quite intelligent :giggle:

My avatar
cazza1982_123
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby cazza1982_123 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:05 am

It is really hard making that decision about where to start - especially as you have all the options right in front of you!!

When I started I got given prefolds (absorbant rectangles of material) which you fold up and place in a wrap (the waterproof bit). I wouldn't recommend these personally as they are fiddly and not always the best for containment. I then bought some totsbots nappies - these are made out of terry and are shaped so you just put these on (I did mine up with a nappy nippa but they can come with poppers, velcro etc as well) and you then put a waterproof wrap over the top so that wee doesn't leak onto clothes. The waterproof wraps are made of PUL and I have found the best ones to be motherease airflow, these are bombproof! (wraps can also be made of fleece and wool and these allow the nappy to breathe moisture more than PUL).

I found totsbots very reliable but when you look at the nappies available they are not that exciting!! I then bought some fuzzi bunz because I wanted to try a pocket nappy - where the waterproof wrap is part of the nappy and you put absorbant material into the pocket absorb wee - the inner of the nappy is fleece so keeps baby's bum dry. The absorbant material is called an insert and I find the bamboo inserts (such as p'tit dessous) and hemp inserts (such as easy peasy) are really good for these nappies. From trying these I started to feel fairly confident about nappies and different varieties but didn't know much about all in ones and all in twos - (AIO's and A12's). All in one are exactly what it says - you just put the nappy on, no need to stuff or put a wrap on and are very easy (but can take longer to dry apparently) and a12's are where you can attach the absorbant material to the inside of the nappy using poppers. I wanted to try the a12's so bought some itti bitti d'lish and these are great.

I heard great things about wee notions night nappies on here so have bought 4 (3 with minky outers) and these are amazing for night-times. I also have one holden's landing bedbug for night-time and that is great as well.

Some people have one main nappy that they use but more frequently on this site people seem to build up a stash of various different nappies. I have noticed that often people prefer one type - such as people with heavy wetters will often use fitted nappies (like a totsbots or a muttaqin) with wool over the top so that the nappy can breathe. I hope some of what I have written makes sense? I can only comment on the nappies I have used so far (which isn't that many really esp compared to other on here) and the way in which I got used to different nappies. I always bought nappies preloved off of the classifieds although did buy my itti's and weenotions new.

Sorry I've rambled on :giggle: , must go to bed. Good luck with making a decision. Good idea to buy a few different types off the classifieds section and see how you get on with them. Caroline xx

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers