First Antenatal Visit Today!

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

First Antenatal Visit Today!

Postby clothsister » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi All,

I am Lucy... and I am Clothmama's baby sister! (Kinda sounds like I was announcing that I am an alcoholic! :wine: )

I am 6 weeks and 5 days pregnant and I have never EVER been so happy (Or scared) in my life!!! :( :cry: :D :wink:

Can not wait to meet the teeny tiny baby in my belly! :babyroll: :pregnant:

Anyways... I have my first Antenatal this afternoon which is very exciting!!! Then have had a letter for an early scan on the 19th March and Midwife coming for a meeting on the 9th March.... This seems a little excessive. Has anyone else had this many appointments? Also what am I to expect from these appointments??

Thanks all!
xx

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: First Antenatal Visit Today!

Postby tanya » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:09 pm

I had that many appointments at the start of this pregnancy. The first one was to go see the doctor and let them know I was pregnant and get the antenatal care started, the midwife appointment was for "booking in" (fill in lots of boring paperwork and get told about some of the antenatal testing you wll be offered) and I had 2 early scans due to a history of early MCs and early pregnancy bleeding.

If you have had any of those kind pf problems, either in this pregnancy or in past pregnancies (sorry, I don't know if this is your first or not), then it's good to get this level of care. Unfortunately, it's not offered as standard. Another reason for the early scan can be if you are unsure of dates.

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi Lucy :idea: , congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome to the tree :wine:

I didn't find out I was pg with Kerr until I was 16 weeks, so can't help with the questions on the number of appointments this early, and things have changed a lot since Ross was born.

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks guys, I think I have one too many appoitnments as saw the DR a few weeks ago when I found out... and have now had them all booked in. However I do have an underactive thyroid gland which I think is why I am having an earlier scan, quite happy about it though as it means I get to see baby Bunting earlier.

This is my first and I can't wait! I have awsome 6 Nephews and 1 beautiful Niece so have had lots of practice but can't wait to have my own! Finding staying awake at work increasingly difficult!!!! :)

xxx

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:20 pm

:idea: Hiya, lovely to meet you.

Your first booking in with the MW will probably be quite a lengthy one as they will be getting all sorts of information from you about you, your health and your family history. The first scan should be very exciting and you can't beat seeing the little picture on the screen.

Hears to an easy pregnancy and lots of nappy shopping :wine: :wink:

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:21 pm

It's amazing how exhausting the first trimester is! I remember that feeling well with my other dcs :D

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:58 pm

:idea: :idea: massive welcome.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.
Up here they generally don't do booking apps till 8 weeks. I had an early scan with Gracie but that was more down to me paniking after a 5 month loss. It will be lovely for you to see your lo so early on and then see the difference at your 12 week scan, you will be amazed. Hope you have a happy healthy pregnancy xx

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:13 pm

:idea: Hiya and welcome.
Many congratulations on your little bump :D
I know with a first baby you get about twice as many appointments than you do with following :pregnant: I had a quick appointment with the MW at the surgery when I was about 6 weeks, then she came and saw me for my full booking in at 8 weeks, where she took a full medical history for me and DH and discussed some of the tests and other options available, it's a long one. I think some NHS trusts do the first scan anywhere between 10 and 13 weeks, so that could account for the early scan. Or if you are unsure at all of your dates, even if it's just because you've been on the pill or hinted at long cycles, they'll do an early scan to get a more definite idea of your dates for they're benefit.
Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy and looking forward to getting to know you during the next few months before you have a bum to clothe in yummy fluff :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:05 pm

:wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: Welcome again! How exciting - they are just little dots at such an early scan, but lovely to see anyway! I would say it's because of your thyroid perhaps that they are scanning early!I wondered where you had got too - was starting to worry :hug: :hug:

Gotta rush or your nephews will be late for school :wink: :giggle:

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers