hf1

Hello from Scotland!

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Hello from Scotland!

Postby rachelinscotland » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:50 pm

Hiya! Nice to hear from you - neat that you also live in the north of Scotland! :) I've been to a few of the islands (Lewis, Harris, Skye), but I know there are lots more I've not been to! lol

I really enjoy this fourm, though I do tend to read more than I actually post!

I think cloth nappies are loads of fun actually - so I'm sure you'll soon get into them & wonder why anyone wants to use boring disposables! :)

Nice to "meet" you & look forward to chatting again. x

My avatar
dawn
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dawn » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:59 pm

Thats like me, I come hear to 'read' lol!! Thats nice you've been to some of the islands, I'm in Lewis actually (Stornoway) did you like the islands? Harris is beautiful. I've been to the US once, on honeymoon, well it was mostly Canada we were in but went to NY too. We know some folk in Michigan, would love to go for a proper holiday to the states though.

Hmmm I'm starting to find disposables rather boring right enough, especially after finding pretty pink wraps!! How old are your lo's? They look cute in your avatar!

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:22 pm

Yes, I quite like the islands, just not the long ferry rides to get off the islands! :) When I first moved to Scotland (nearly 4.5 years ago) I lived in Ness for about 8 months, so went into Stornoway for shopping etc. It was a unique experience living there and the views of the Atlantic ocean were fab! I did miss the trees - seems Ness is void of trees - but it was a neat place to live. I'm from Texas but have been up through Michigan and various states en route to Canada a few times, so see a bit of USA, but not very much of the huge country!

Have you tried any Minki nappies yet? They're made by a lady in Point, I think - I love them for night nappies! (Though I'm yet to see how they work with summer pjs, as I started using Minki fleece pocket nappies in the autumn when my little ones were wearing fleece pjs most nights - and seems with my youngest being a tummy sleeper, his clothes/bed can get a bit wet if he's wearing pjs other than fleece.) But I still love how cute & comfy they are, and they keep my son's skin so dry allll night long!

My daughter is nearly 2.5 years old and my son is 13 months. He's full of energy and tries to do everything his big sister can do! So although they're 16 months apart, it nearly seems like I've got two toddlers of the same age! He started walking before his first birthday, whereas his sister was 16 months before she could walk. So the two of them together keep me busy! :) But they're lovely, of course!

My avatar
dawn
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dawn » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:56 pm

I'm totally with you on the ferry rides, they're just no good!! I get real sick on the boat, not nice, and even worse when you take your babies on them and have to entertain them while sick :roll: saying that hubby is fine on the boat so take full advantage of that :lol: .

That's funny because my husband is from Ness actually, lived in Fivepenny! I've dragged him to the bright lights of Stornoway now though!!Hmm Ness is very sparse, no trees there for sure, I joke with him there's nothing much to see in Ness, but true the Atlantic views are something else especially in the winter! Mind you if I had a choice between Ness and America I think I'd be jumping on the plane :lol:

I have a Minki pocket nappy, which I've not used much of as I find it quite bulky under clothes, but I've heard they're good night nappies. They're very cute though, it's a sheep one I have :lol: I also have a Minki wrap, which I find bulkier than other wraps so tend not to use it too much. Mostly I've been using geobel bamboo nappies and they've been really good, just take ages and ages to dry, even on a breezy day they're still a bit damp coming in off the line. Also got terries, and a couple of fuzzi bunz but that's all, not got a big enough supply to keep me full time in cloth yet.

I'm finding the transition from 1 child to 2 very busy!!! My almost 3 yr old son is having a phase of destroying everything which is heavy going, but he does have good moments too thankfully! He's loving his new sister so that makes all the difference! Your 2 will be keeping you busy indeed I can imagine! I guess they'll be good friends growing up with being close in age, that's nice :) :)

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:37 pm

ooh, I really like the geobel bamboo nappies too! Well, I only have one but I really like the fit of it. I think it actually fits better than the Tots Bots Bamboozles. Seems more flexible and a trimmer fit. I think bamboo nappies are my favourite, though I agree they can take ages to dry.

btw, if you find cloth nappies a bit bulky on your 10 week old, you might find them a lot better once she gets bigger. With both of my babies, it seemed that there was a huge wedge between their legs when they weren't very flexible, but once they were around 4-6 months, then it didn't seem to look odd at all. I suppose it depends on what kind of nappies you are using, but I think it gets even more fun as they get a bit bigger. :)

Yes, I think Abigail & Benjamin are already best friends - Abigail doesn't like him to even take naps, she'll say "I want my brother to wake up - I don't like Benjamin to be sleeping. I want to play with him." She is always looking out for him, giving him snacks, drinks, toys, books, etc. It's really sweet seeing how much they enjoy each other's company. She was soooo excited once he was big enough to sit up, so crawling & walking were just wonderful in her opinion (apart from the times when he wants to take her toys, pull her hair, wreck her jigsaw, etc! lol). Such fun being a mummy, huh? :)

My avatar
dawn
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dawn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:37 pm

That's great you like geobel bamboo's too, I have 10! Got a bargain on ebay, £45 for 10 geobel nappies (new) and they're usually at least £8 each. I need another wrap though to be able to use them more often. I find them very flexible and not at all bulky even on a small baby, they hold loads too, so I find that even though they take so long to try it's kind of worth it. I got a bunch of nappies free from the council, they have a real nappy scheme and gave me a Motherease Sandy's nappy, which I also find good and it dries pretty quick too, Tots Bots nappy, not sure what kind, it's not bamboo and it closes with a nippa, it's a bit bulky but still it seems good, Minki pocket nappy, Minki wrap and a terry nappy. I've also got a lot of terry nappies lol, I should use them more, but the problem is not having the wraps and the plastic pants being too big at the moment. do you have a fav nappy?

Good point about the nappies fitting better as the baby gets bigger, that a good point I never thought of. Most ppl get really surprised when I say she's in a cloth nappy (geobel's) when holding her and say they never noticed, even hubby lol!!!

Nice that your 2 get on so well, it sounds so sweet!! Looks like I've lots to look forward to with 2, Calvin gets very excited about Katie looking at him so who knows how he'll react whenever she does REALLY exciting things like sitting up and crawling :lol: :lol: Certainly is a lot of fun being a mummy, but no doubt the hardest job in the world I think!!!

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:19 pm

As for a favourite nappy, that's a hard one. :) Especially since there are thousands of nappies I've not tried yet! LOL I guess it's between the Minki pocket nappies (as I love the cute fleece prints! *and* how dry they keep my baby's skin overnight, though I'm yet to see how I can have them work with summer pjs) and Bamboozle/Geobel bamboo nappies. I really love bamboo! :) (My minki pockets get stuffed with bamboo prefolds, of course!) I really like my nippi fastening Bamboozle (so comfy & flexible without the stiff aplix that Bamboozles seem to have), though I think maybe after they've been used for a long time they don't fasten very well with a nippi (I bought it recently "secondhand" though it was unused, and Tots don't do them as nippi ones anymore).

I'd not had much success with ordinary pocket nappies in the past, but I recently got a birth to potty Wonderoos (I think that's what it's called - made in USA) and It's really good - no leaks and the fleece doesn't make my daughter's skin turn red like most fleece does! And seems to really keep the moisture away too! Wouldn't mind having lots of them, actually! :)

Anyway, I can go on for *ages* talking about nappies!! <blush> But then again, that's what this fourm is for! :-D

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi and welcome, look forward to chatting :D

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:18 am

Hiya Rachel...and Dawn. Welcome to CNT, do come and join in with the chat - we are all nice (and addicted too :D )

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome Newcomers