Hi from a late starter!

My avatar
cherry219
Clothie
Clothie

Hi from a late starter!

Postby cherry219 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:32 am

Hello all,

I'm Beth, and my first baby boy Jacob turns 1 next week. We've used disposables up until this point, as we've never had enough spare cash to try out, choose and buy enough cloth nappies. However, the weekly cost of buying disposables is now killing us as well, and a kindly friend whose 3 babas are now out of nappies has donated 20 pocket nappies and a massive bag of various stuffing materials to me.

I'm struggling so far - it's all a whole new world to me and I'm unsure how much stuffing (if that's the right word!), what type of stuffing, and how to fold it. We're having leaks around the legs, usually within an hour of putting the nappy on, and the nappy certainly isn't soaked when I take it off. I've had a bit of a read around, asked the advice of some cloth-wearing friends and the problem seems to be too much/too little stuffing, or the fasteners not being done up tight enough. I guess it's all trial and error!

I would love to try some different types of nappies (i.e. not pockets), to see if we get on better with those, but I'm a bit baffled by all the choice (and the cost)!

Jacob is a big baby, I haven't had him officially weighed for 4 months but I'd say he's probably around 27lb now. The pockets I have are half Upsy Daisy (with velcro) and half Mommy's Touch, all size medium. They seem to fit well - but I wondered if he should have bigger ones?

Is this all too much information for an introductory post? If so, sorry ;) Point me in the right direction, and I'll go and post for help in the appropriate area.

I'll just finish by saying that we're so excited about this next stage of our parenting adventure, and feeling a bit daft for not trying to get it sorted sooner. We're firmly in the attachment parenting camp, we're babywearing and BLWing and can't wait to join you all in the cloth-bumming camp :D

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Hi from a late starter!

Postby freckle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:56 am

Hi :idea: and welcome!!

We don't use pockets so I wont be any help with your questions :oops:

My avatar
sjm
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sjm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:00 am

Hi
You would benefit from large in pockets I think but its best to try a few see which gets a better fit.
sarah

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi Beth and welcome. Sorry to hear you are struggling but it can all be a bit baffling when you start out, especially as you have been used to disposables.

What do you use to stuff the pockets with? It could be that you need to get the stuffing right or going up a size might help - mediums only really go up to about 20-25lbs usually so larges might be better.

Do feel free to ask whatever questions you have though, the ladies on here have loads of good advice and I am sure we can get any problems sorted :D

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby vampiredreams » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:42 pm

:idea: helloooo!!!

My avatar
Soozi
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Soozi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:24 pm

hi !

My avatar
jasmine b
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jasmine b » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:08 pm

hi :) im newish too and also had problems with pockets , it got a bit better when i used bamboo inserts but we seem to get on better with fitted nappies, particularly good mamas and hollow oak nappies but as im sure you know, what works for one baby wont necessarily work for another. im a huge fan of attachment parenting and so happy to hear it being mentioned as most of my friends are gina ford fans. enjoy the cnt and good luck with the pockets :hug:

My avatar
daydreamer
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby daydreamer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:17 am

:idea: welcome to the tree :cnthug:

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:55 am

hiya :idea:
i think you'd definitely be better off with larges tbh. what are you stuffing them all with? does your lo drink a lot? do you use poppered vests and/or tight clothes over the top?

just post about your probs in the pocket nappies section :wink: :hug:

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers